R5 2600/2600x stock cooler XFR/overclocking on a B350 mobo?

RA_CAGoogle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Hello everyone!
So I've been thinking about ditching Intel for a while now (getting a little into streaming) and was about to pull the trigger on a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 + Ryzen 5 2600x combo, as the motherboard would already arrive with the correct BIOS.
Should I take this deal and keep the 2600x at stock/boost frequencies(maybe XFR) or ditch it, get a 2600 with an aftermarket cooler and overclock that instead?
Also, would XFR actually work with the motherboard? I heard it's only a good idea if you've got 8+
power phases (in that case i'd go for an X470)

EDIT: 2600 w/ a Hyper 212 EVO = roughly R$ 1797,90 (466 USD)
2600x stock = roughly R$ 1888,00 (489 USD)
Both include the AB350 Gaming 3

Solution
The stock coolers are capable of some overclocking. 2600x comes with a larger tdp cooler than the 2600. I would see what you can achieve with the stock cooler before buying an aftermarket cooler. B450 motherboards are being manufactured and I would wait for that if you don't have to purchase right now. That motherboard will work just fine and allow you to overclock if you want the bundle now.
The stock coolers are capable of some overclocking. 2600x comes with a larger tdp cooler than the 2600. I would see what you can achieve with the stock cooler before buying an aftermarket cooler. B450 motherboards are being manufactured and I would wait for that if you don't have to purchase right now. That motherboard will work just fine and allow you to overclock if you want the bundle now.

Solution

Are you positive the GA-AB350 is arriving with the correct BIOS?
I have purchased two and they did not.

I suggest you get a X470 motherboard for the 2600/x or wait for the B450
If you go with the AB350 then go with the 1600\x

About Boost and XFR
If core temperatures are within safe ranges, 2 cores (not all cores) will go above stock in 25MHz increments up to the max Boost Clock.
XFR will then kicks in and increase these 2 cores an additional 100MHz (50MHz for the non-X), if thermals and power permits it.
These is all done with AMD "SenseMI" built into the CPU.
So manually overclocking will have better yield.

That is a summary of what I understand about it.
Now in the real world things work differently. I have built two system with the same exact components and in one of the system XFR was a no show... even when temps were lower.