8700 vs 8600k for all day VR gaming

Jul 21, 2018
We'll be running VR gaming on a mini pc for many hours a day.

8600k is 20% cheaper and the performance seems to be as good so obv that was initial choice.
Only, we'll be running it for many hours a day potentially (in a VR Arcade) and in a mini itx case so concerned about overheating. Will be getting a cooler, like Corsair H75 or Dark Rock 4 (or any other if you know a better one?)

So is it worth paying the 20% more to get the 8700 for heating reasons or will the 8600k be fine with a cooler like the above?

I'm guessing 8700k isn't necessary as teh gpu will be the bottleneck if anything right? (getting a 1080 ti)

Thanks

Solution

The max speed of the 120mm cryorig H7 is 1600 rpm.
That is very appropriate for the cpu cooler.

When I was talking about high rpm, I was referring to the single front 120mm intake fan.
Think about it.
If the front fan was running at 1600 rpm, it would theoretically supply sufficient airflow to match the fan capability of the cpu cooler.
So far, ok.

But, what about the supply of air for the graphics card?
The card has what looks like two 100 mm fans to draw in cooling air.
As you mount it, you could expect some of that to come in from the top case opening.
The SC2 is a highly factory overclocked card and will generate more than the normal amount of heat so...
If you're getting a 1080 Ti then both processors will be fine. The 8700 WILL require an aftermarket cooler, as the intel stock one falls flat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HuMxB0qT0. Slap an AIO liquid cooler/Competent Air cooler in there with the 8600k and you'll be golden. The cooling potential/compatibility really depends on what case you'll be using.

The key will be your case.
How "mini" does it need to be?

A decent air coolerwill need 160mm height available.
A aio cooler will need less height, but the radiator mount and case airflow need to be looked at.

You need to nail down your cpu and gpu requirements first.
On the cpu side, do your apps need fast core speeds or many threads?

It's a "mini-ITX" case but you can put in a Dark Rock 4 cooler?

Okay, if you can support that size a cooler you don't seem terribly limited... if there is no WINDOW and aesthetics don't matter (brown fan) then get the:

Noctua NH-D15S

That's an excellent cooler which allows you to overclock the i5-8600K to 5GHz+ (depending on silicon lottery with the CPU itself).

Pointless to speculate unless we know the CASE you intend to choose.

Other:
I recommend the Asus Strix version of the 1080Ti if possible. It costs a little more but it's quieter than most others. You'll also need good airfow in and out of the case which brings us back to...

WHICH CASE?

Jul 21, 2018
Ah, ok, thanks guys, didn't realise the case was so important. We were thinking something like this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/parvum-systems-x1.0-coloured-accent-royal-blue-ca-057-ps.html

- Dimensions (WxHxD): 250 x 244 x 310mm
- Maximum CPU Cooler Height: 150mm

Or if there are any suggestions, we're open. We wanted it to not be too big so we can transport it in a big back pack if necessary.

"You need to nail down your cpu and gpu requirements first.
On the cpu side, do your apps need fast core speeds or many threads?"

It's going to be for VR Gaming exclusively, maybe with a bit of normal gaming. I guess cores are more important as it won't be multi-tasking?

"Okay, if you can support that size a cooler you don't seem terribly limited... if there is no WINDOW and aesthetics don't matter (brown fan) then get the:
Noctua NH-D15S"

Right. Having checked the details, I see that case would only support a 150mm cooler. Are there any that size that'd be adequate or should I look to get a bigger case?

And are you both essentially saying that it doesn't matter too much between 8700 and 8600k so I may as well get the cheaper 8600k?

VR Gaming is really dependent on single-thread performance, as are most games. I'd definitely stick with the 8600k for your use case. That parvum case is good, but you might want to look into the SG13 lineup from silverstone. At that size, I'd definitely advise getting an AIO cooler, such as the Kraken M22 or Corsair H60.

The case has only one 120mm front air intake.
That is not enough for a high powered cpu and gpu.
Possibly, if you installed a high rpm intake fan, you could do ok.
About the best cooler you could fit would be the cryorig H7 which is 145mm tall.

For fast core speeds the i3-8350K would be the best when overclocked a bit.
I would also look towards a graphics card with a blower cooler that gets heat out the back of the case.
GTX1070 class, I think.

Jul 21, 2018
I looked at the silverstone sg13 but it had a max gpu of 10.5 inches and the gpu I have comes to a shade over that so may be too much of a squeeze.

The Parvum case does have a top vent for the GPU, does that mitigate the 120mm small front air vent size? If 120mm is not enough then what is the recommended amount?

I'd rather the Parvum because of the looks but would you say the Parvum would damage the gear and this one would be better because it has more vents?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cougar-qbx-mini-itx-cube-chassis-black-ca-013-cu.html

What counts most is the air intake capability.
Whatever comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking heat with it.
What make/model GTX1080ti do you have?

I think you could make a 120mm front intake work if you were willing to tolerate increased fan noise from a high rpm intake fan.

The max speed of the 120mm cryorig H7 is 1600 rpm.
That is very appropriate for the cpu cooler.

When I was talking about high rpm, I was referring to the single front 120mm intake fan.
Think about it.
If the front fan was running at 1600 rpm, it would theoretically supply sufficient airflow to match the fan capability of the cpu cooler.
So far, ok.

But, what about the supply of air for the graphics card?
The card has what looks like two 100 mm fans to draw in cooling air.
As you mount it, you could expect some of that to come in from the top case opening.
The SC2 is a highly factory overclocked card and will generate more than the normal amount of heat so providing more cooling air to the card is likely a good idea.
I do not see where your case provides a front 120mm fan.
I think I would buy a high speed fan in the 3000 rpm range.
Then, connect it to a rheostat type fan controller like the zalman fanmate.
You can then tune the fan speed to get the best balance of intake airflow vs. noise.

Solution
Not sure how critical size is but I think the Bitfenix Prodigy (different colors..I like white the most) case is great:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-prodigy-mini-itx-cube-case-midnight-black-ca-073-bx.html

You need to be very careful dealing with the smaller cases including:
a) air flow issues (which ties into potential NOISE issues)
b) CPU cooler restrictions
c) some limited to SFX power supplies
d) graphics card length

You should also look for YOUTUBE videos to get an idea how a build would go in any case you choose. For example here's an article showing one potential issue with the Cougar QBX:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9757/the-cougar-qbx-mini-itx-case-review/3

(the orientation of the power cable receptacle)

If size is really critical then you need to choose the CPU carefully. Not sure about the QBX airflow in general either (105mm CPU cooler max, reduced to 80mm if using side fan). rear 92mm fan... intake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXDgjVY_EI

I believe it comes with one 12cm fan. I'd probably get another 3x12cm (2x12cm for top/rear exhaust and 2x12cm for front intake). Use motherboard fan speed control but get a good case fan like... suggestions?

I prefer the Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nf-s12a-pwm-chromax-premium-grade-fan-120mm-fg-06p-nc.html

I have FOUR of those using the LNA (Low Noise Adapter). You can use the fan splitter to run two off a fan header if needed.

CPU cooler?
I'd get the Noctua NH-D15S if you get the i5-8600K and Bitfenix Prodigy (up to 180/190mm depending on setup).
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-d15s-dual-radiator-quiet-cpu-cooler-hs-031-nc.html

It is not just about max cooling potential but also NOISE. Even at 5GHz and 30degC ambient room temp (and good case cooling) it should be reasonably quiet.

This is a great cooler and can handle a 5GHz overclock of the i5-8600K no problem... I would not get an AIO unless you have limited space. Yes, fan is brown but there is no window to see it.

(An AIO has a limited life of maybe five years if the pump doesn't fail first... a good Noctua air cooler probably will never die; even the fan MTBF is many years (150,000 hrs) and every fan I bought years ago works perfectly still. My Noctua NH-D14 is six years old and fans working perfectly... every OTHER fan I bought for every other PC died within five years)

Jul 21, 2018
Ok thanks guys. We decided to chance it with the Parvum case and 8600k cpu. Probably won't overclock so hoping it should be ok with a small fan. Appreciate all your input. Will post results here when it's set up in case anyone else has a similar question.