FX-6300 and Gigabyte GA970-DS3P

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hi all, I had to get a new mobo for my FX-6300, and due to budget, I went for a Gigabyte GA970-DS3P.

I went through PartsPicker, and used the compatibility checker, but after ordering it, I happened to see here that I need to update the BIOS.

Forgive the stupid question, but how do I do that? How can I download a BIOS update if the PC doesn't boot?

mgallo848

Commendable
Return the board. Without a CPU that will currently work with that board you wont be able to.

Edit: There are different revisions of that board. If you look at box, the while label usually found on one of the sides of the box it should say something like rev 1, rev 2, ect.....

I can't say for certain but a newer revision may already come with the updated BIOS from the manufacturer

mgallo848

Commendable

Problem is, a repair shop won't do it for free. They may charge $25-$50 dollars for their service. He could've taken that money and applied it towards getting a better motherboard to begin with.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I haven't got the new mobo yet.

I don't know that it won't work, I just read something about it while looking to see if I could OC (w/the turbo function) the CPU on the new board, since it was really not recommended on my current (non-working) MSI 970-G43, and wanted to be prepared.

The thread I noticed it on was from 2015 though, so hopefully the BIOS is already updated.

The specs on NewEgg certainly confirmed it's FX-compatible, and hopefully, it being rev. 2.0 is a good sign....