R9 390 causing black screen crash

Jul 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

Several weeks ago, my MSI R9 390 broke down and it got replaced with a refurbished R9 390. Ever since I installed this new GPU, I have been experiencing black screen crashes while web browsing or using VLC. The weird thing is; I can play games or run benchmarks for hours without any problem.
I've checked the temps and voltages, but those are all fine.

When I remove the GPU and use the integrated graphics, the problem is gone. I removed all AMD drivers, and installed new ones. I even tried using older drivers, but the problem persisted. HDD's, SSD's and RAM are fine too.

Specs:

i5 6500
Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P
MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Gaming
WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
Seagate Barracuda, 2TB
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
Crucial CT2K4G4DFS8213 (2x)
Corsair RM550x

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of these crashes? GPU seems the most logical, but it seems weird that it can run games and benchmarks completely fine. And I can't really imagine that MSI replaces a defective GPU with another broken one.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read. Can anyone help?

Jul 24, 2018

Thanks for your comment. I used the old 390 over two years in this PC without problems, and with the 'new' 390 it can run games and benchmarks without any problems. The problem occurs only when not gaming, oddly enough. When web browsing, or performing any other light task, the PC crashes within half an hour. Could the PSU cause crashes when the system needs a minimum amount of power?

nascar895

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I also had a similar problem with my R9 380. It was rebooted on random occasions. But the problem was gone when I replaced my old PSU with a new one. My old PSU was little bit cheap Korean brand.