860 EVO only 300MB/s Write. Read speeds normal

Jared Jensen

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 500GB 860 Evo to upgrade my system. The last SSD I had was a budget 250 Gb one so I was excited about the speed boost. I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 onto the 860 Evo and ran the benchmark to see my speeds. The speeds came out at 559 reads and 530 write. After installing all of my programs and updating all of the drivers, I ran a User benchmark test and my SSD speed was down to 300 Mbs writes but 500+ reads. Here's the link: userbenchmark
Samsung Magician Benchmark Before
Samsung Magician Benchmark After
Atto Benchmark

After the poor write speeds, I uninstalled all of my programs in hopes that one of them was the issue. I tested again and the speeds were still slow. I then used Atto and same thing. writes were being capped at 300mbs. I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't want to reinstall windows and have the same issue. I don't think it's the SATA cable or port since my last SSD worked well for a couple years. The read speeds also look great so I'm really confused why the write speeds are being capped.

Any suggestions?

I've updated all the drivers.
Changed power options to "High Performance"
Uninstalled all programs.

System specs:
i7-4790
GTX 970
16GB Ram
500 GB 860 Evo
1TB WD BLUE
MSI Sli Krait.

Thanks in advance!

Initially, on a new drive, all of the nand blocks are empty and can accept a write without needing a read/rewrite cycle.
After the drive has been fully populated, more writes will need a read/rewrite operation.
I am guessing this is what is happening.

Jared Jensen

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

What does that mean exactly? I never had a problem with low write speeds on my last SSD and I had that for over two years. What would you recommend as a solution?

Is write caching enabled?
1.Right-click Computer and select Properties.
2.Click Device manager on the left then expand Disk drives.
3.Find your SSD, right-click it, hit Properties and go to the Policies tab.
4.Make sure Enable write caching on the device is checked and hit Ok.

Jared Jensen

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Write caching is enabled.
I just ran my computer in Safe mode and ran ATTO and my write speeds came back to normal and then dropped off and then came back up at the end. https://imgur.com/a/6w8ECVm
What do you think is causing this?

USAFRet

Titan

That's a pretty poor write speed.
This is my 500GB 850 EVO, after about 18 months of use as the C drive:
ItYSAF8.png

Jared Jensen

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah, I know. :/
The Write speeds were fine when I first installed windows this morning so I'm inclined to think it's a software problem or misconfiguration somewhere. I've been looking everywhere online for optimization tweaks but nothing has fixed the problem. I don't want to reinstall windows without knowing what's causing the problem and have the same thing happen again. What do you think is the issue?

TheSleek Geek

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hey man, have you found a solution yet? I have the same problem, even after updating to the latest firmware for my 860 EVO the writing speed is still around 330MB/s, my other 850 EVO works just fine, ~550/530 read/write, same perf as day 1.

TheSleek Geek

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Update to my own reply: I tried rebooting and the speeds were back to normal, it seems like when you try to benchmark a drive with the operating system on it, you won't get the full write speeds because the OS keeps writing stuff to it all the time and that fills up the turbo cache of the drive (I think).