960 Pro suddenly not recognised?

Jul 27, 2018
hello,

Today I installed an EK-A240G water loop and all was successful however when powering up the computer and running heaven benchmark, I realised my second NVMe m.2 wasn't visible in 'MyPC'.

Now the complicated part -

My C: drive is a 960 pro 2tb and is in the m.2 port on the motherboard. My second drive is labelled D: and is the 960 pro 1tb (that's not being recognised) and is connected via an Asus PCIe Adapter. Since I couldn't locate D: drive in Disk management I decided to take out D: and I put an old 960 evo in the Asus adapter, powered the pc up and it was recognised instantly. I unplugged the 960 evo and put back in the Pro 1tb and now the m.2 was being recognised as G: 960 evo?? I could even save files only the 960 pro 1tb even though it was recognised as an evo 250gb...

I decided to just format the pro 1tb and create New sample etc in disk management and now it's running like normal. I have just lost all the data on it. I scoured the internet as to why it wasn't appearing properly in the first place and no one (as far as I could see) had encountered a similar problem.

During the water loop installation. I unplugged all connections from the PSU and also removed an old HDD and CD-ROM drive from my build as I no longer need them. I was immensely careful when handling the water and (touch wood) haven't had and leaks. The motherboard wasn't even connected when jump starting the PSU to get liquid flowing in the pump so I really don't know what would cause the 960 pro to essentially corrupt itself.

Has anyone got any clue as to why the m.2 wasn't being recognised?
Any help/advice would be highly appreciated as i'm worried I may loose my data on the drive again.

My build is:
Win10 Home 64bit
Asus H170-Pro
I7-6700K
HyperX DDR4 32GB
GTX 1080TI FE
RM750x PSU
EK A240G loop
OS is on - 960 pro 2TB
Asus PCIe adapter - 960 pro 1TB

It's my first time posting on here so I apologise if I have missed key info or appear as a noob.

Many thanks!

Solution
Was the missing drive visible in disk mgmt or UEFI ?I would also have been interested to know whether that resurrected G drive was limited to 250GB or was the full 1TB available ? Logic suggests the latter.
You indicate that the G drive was operating just fine other than the mis-description so I'm not sure why you lost data ?
In any event, the disappearance and mis description may be an artifact of the adapter's tricky recognition of the drive. May well happen again but now you are ready, with a back up clone, right ?
Was the missing drive visible in disk mgmt or UEFI ?I would also have been interested to know whether that resurrected G drive was limited to 250GB or was the full 1TB available ? Logic suggests the latter.
You indicate that the G drive was operating just fine other than the mis-description so I'm not sure why you lost data ?
In any event, the disappearance and mis description may be an artifact of the adapter's tricky recognition of the drive. May well happen again but now you are ready, with a back up clone, right ?

Solution