I5-760 Idle Temps

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Hi there, i have an i5-760 with the stock cooler and my idle temps range from 47-53°C. Is that acceptable or should i just change the stock cooler for a better one and if yes, could you please suggest a cooler that would do the trick, not too expensive one? Thank you.

Solution
Oh, yeah, the stock cooler for a i3 is not quite enough for an i5. I'd grab a cheapo stock cooler from an i7 from ebay or any of a number of budget coolers and that'll help alot with temps.

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017

Well for something that i tested with Fortnite, is that i see it eating the cpu quite a bit, so it can get to about 73°C max i recalled. I haven't yet put this CPU to a stress test to see how high it can get.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps are really affected by 5 things on any given cooler. Ambient temps at the case, case airflow, cleanliness of the heatsink/radiator, fans/curves, paste.

They are all relatively easy fixes. But any can contribute to higher idle temps, usually it's a combination of factors.

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017

Yes i know. I just got this cpu and i was using a core i3-540 which was running perfectly fine. So i decided to use the same stock cooler on this one, since i don't have any other cooler on my hand though. Although i have 2 casing fans for exhaust, this cpu seems to have a bit higher temps. I guess, i'll have to change the cooler for a better one.

73 really isn't high at all. You may not need to do anything.

I would run the CPU at 100% and see what temp you get. If it's under 80.....I might leave it alone.