i5 8400 4ghz?

Jason Kandola

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I've seen many threads and videos on people getting their i5 8400 at 4ghz using multicore enhancement. I tried to look for it but can't find it also i tired to look for BCLK but i don't have that option as well.

i5 8400
8gb patriot 2666mhz ram
gtx 1080
asus b360-f gaming motherboard

Solution
In the real world you dont see 4ghz never. Always there are other processes like antivirus, drive, windows processes anf then o.s. prefer use multicore at 3,9 or 3,8 than unicore at 4.
Dont trust all you see at youtube videos.
I5-8400 speed limitation is only a intel marketing requeriment. Is a block chip.
Yeah, like King_V said it autoclocks up when needed. The max all core boost (asides from bios options like mulitcore enhancements) will be 3.8 providing you have a decent cooling solution. Regardless, your I5 8400 is plenty to drive the GTX1080. What res are you gaming at?

The bigger issue in my mind is the 8gbs of ram. You have the best bang for buck gaming chip right now, a great GPU, but you will hobble new games like BF1, COD WW2 etc and AAA games with just 8gbs. The system will begin to use the swapfile once the ram fills up, and can cause major stuttering unless you have a SSD to help negate the effect. Getting another 8gb, will really balance that out.

In BIOS of your motherboard it's called CPU Core ratio.
Set it to "by core usage" and set
"1-core ratio limit" to max,
"2-core ratio limit" to max,
"3-core ratio limit" to max,
"4-core ratio limit" to max,
"5-core ratio limit" to max,
"6-core ratio limit" to max.

Also you have to enable Turbo mode under CPU Power Management.

This effectively is the same setting as multi-core enhancement.

"Oh, well that, and no, MCE wasn’t enabled for any of the Core i5-8400 tests, mostly because you can’t enable this feature on any locked Intel CPUs on any 300-series motherboard."

So AFAIK there's no way to apply any overclock to the i5-8400. If you had a "Z" series as said above you can use MCE to get to a solid 4.0GHz otherwise on your B360 it will auto Turbo though for the most part I don't think you'll lose much performance.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1608-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-1600-best-value/

*It only drops to 3.8GHz on all six cores... there's a base clock that's much lower so in theory it could go lower under load but I don't believe any tests show that happens.

So 3.8GHz seems to be the worst-case scenario under load (it will go below that for light usage).

Are you sure about this because the articles I saw tried this and it STILL drops to 3.8GHz under full load. Not that it matters much since that's only a 5% difference between 3.8GHz and 4.0GHz anyway.

Are you also sure about the Power Management requirement to enable Turbo too? My experience with newer CPU's is limited but AFAIK there's nothing to be done in BIOS or Windows with the i5-8400 and B360 for the CPU (though for memory you may need to enable "XMP" if not set).

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'd be surprised... the best way to test is to use Prime95 (or CPUID) and set to run only a SINGLE THREAD. That should show one of the CPU graphs (when set to all logical core) in Task Manager hit 100% and it should also show 4.0GHz then if you stress all cores it should drop to 3.8GHz.

(single core at 4.0GHz may not work if other tasks are running too so it may drop to 3.9GHz for the above single thread test)

Jason Kandola

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
When i play games on the chip, i haven't seen a single core get to 4 ghz. I only see each core reach 3.8 nothing higher. also i am upgrading the memory because in some games, the games outright just crash because of the low ram amount. I will try the max core ratio to see if i get anything higher than 3.8 ghz.

In the real world you dont see 4ghz never. Always there are other processes like antivirus, drive, windows processes anf then o.s. prefer use multicore at 3,9 or 3,8 than unicore at 4.
Dont trust all you see at youtube videos.
I5-8400 speed limitation is only a intel marketing requeriment. Is a block chip.

Solution