1080 TI FTW3 hybrid not cooling properly

dagobah.net

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
Hello all, I'm new to posting so bear with me.

First off here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2QwbCb
Had to save up a whole bunch and tried my best to future proof my system. I built this back in late November of last year

here is my current OC, been stable since December:
GPU: 2062MHz core (can go to 2115MHz stable but dx12 doesn't like it so I cut it back a little), 5805MHz mem, no voltage increase, it is on the slave bios though.
CPU: 3925MHz, 1.35V

What happened before the problem:
So recently I've had to leave my pc on for 2 nights in a row because I had a bunch of game downloads (thanks humble bundle) and during this time I played Kingdom Come and mined bitcoin with Nice Hash Miner 2 with no problems at all, like usual. This morning I decided since I only had one download left I'd give it a breather for about an hour or so. When I turned my system back on and tried to run Kingdom Come it was getting less than 1 fps on the title screen and then crashed. I tried this several times with the same results and it gave the same results with valley benchmark as well. I then tried to use RivaTuner and HWINFO 64 to figure out the issue. I immediately found on that my gpu was burning up at 90°C and then crashing as opposed to running at the 40°C - 60°C it normally runs. However, my individual GPU sensors didn't go above 60°C which has me a bit puzzled. My GPU fan and radiator are mounted on the rear of the case which has been fine so far but I noticed that the air coming from it is not hot or even warm even when it's burning up at 90°C. The GPU however is hot to the touch and the part closest to the case feels like it'll burn me.

The problem:
So basically my computer has started overheating but the fan and radiator are spiting out cold air. My computer seems to have sorted it out itself last night and it was properly cooling again but this morning it began rising up to 90°C again so I decided it was needed to make this post.

What I think might be going on:
This makes me suspect that the pump might not be working properly. I could try to send it back and see if EVGA can fix it because I believe it's still under warranty but with college starting back up soon I'd like to fix it myself, if possible, instead of waiting until they decide it's ready to come back.

I've tried to be as detailed as I can. I just want to hear what y'all have to say before i start loosening screws or contacting EVGA.

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need any more info.

Solution

I agree. Even if the fans were failing the pump with the radiator is enough to keep it cool.

dagobah.net

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
It ended up sorting itself out, the pump was most likely having some difficulties earlier but the issue quickly resolved itself on its own. Thank you for your replies.