maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
Specs:
16GB RAM
i5 4460
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
MSI B85-G43 Gaming

Will I see a massive improvement in fps if I get the i7 4790k? (k because the clock is higher)
I play CS:GO, Just cause 3 and GTA V at 1440p btw.

Solution
I doubt you would see a massive improvement.
But, you could try.
A i7-4790K goes used for about $200 on ebay.
A used i5-4460 sells for around $100.
To get some sort of an idea how much cpu core speed impacts your games, you could try a back handed experiment.
In windows power management, limit your cpu to 90%.
If this impacts your performance, it will give you an idea of how important 10% cpu performance is.

With a I7, you also get 4 more threads.
This may or may not be important to your games.

I suppose, you could also conduct the same type of aback handed experiment by removing one of your 4 threads.
You do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the...
No, you wont see a massive performance jump with the 4790k. At higher resolution the bottleneck moves from the CPU to the GPU, so the CPU is less important. On some CPU heavy games, such as BF1, there will be a nice bump because the 4790k has more threads. But for the games you listed, they are not too terribly CPU intensive and couple that with higher resolution, there wont be a big difference.

The general consensus for a CPU/GPU upgrade is two tiers above what you have.

With that said the extra clockspeed, and additional threads will help push the GTX1070 another 5% maybe. Depends on the price ofht e4790k though.. Given the mobo isn't a 'Z' iteration, you can't OC the 4790k.

I doubt you would see a massive improvement.
But, you could try.
A i7-4790K goes used for about $200 on ebay.
A used i5-4460 sells for around $100.
To get some sort of an idea how much cpu core speed impacts your games, you could try a back handed experiment.
In windows power management, limit your cpu to 90%.
If this impacts your performance, it will give you an idea of how important 10% cpu performance is.

With a I7, you also get 4 more threads.
This may or may not be important to your games.

I suppose, you could also conduct the same type of aback handed experiment by removing one of your 4 threads.
You do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Solution