i7 6700 voltage issues

Aug 8, 2018
hey, i have never made a post on here so bare with me.

i have an issue with, what i think is my cpu. for many years i had an issue with my pc BSOD'ing with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. And for some reason the crash did NOT occur when running a game in the backround, i used forza horizon 3 because it was fast to launch so i could beat my pc to crashing itself. which i found out i could fix this issue by increasing the voltage a tiny bit in the bios just recently.(this was a massive issue for me and very rage enducing so i was over the moon to have finaly found a fix.) i thought all was good until i wanted to play rust. after loading in the game with the new fix applied to my cpu through the bios i was exited to see the fps gain i was going to get from not running 2 games at once. but after 5 mins of gameplay on rust i get a crash that is just a freeze up, no bsod , no auto restart or black screen, just a frozen screen , that i have to hard boot out of. so right now im stuck between having an always bsod crashing cpu with the lower voltage (unless a game always running which lower my framerate on every game) or not be able to play one of my favourite games, but have my pc semi function. it really sucks and i am yet to find a reliable fix. can anyone help me with this insanely complicated issue. it would mean the world to me.

for clarification i know its not an issue with the game rust itself as this crash happens in a select few of other games aswell, such as rainbow 6 and golf with friends is all i have discovered so far.

specs

z170 pro gaming mobo

gtx 1080 msi gaming x

i7 6700 non k

16gb ddr4 ram.

550 psu (new)

Jonas Magnusson

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
You say that the 550W psu is new, what happened to the old one? If increasing voltage won't solve the problem it might be the psu that is too low of an wattage. If you run the game of your iGPU and unplug your 1080 will it still crash? It's not really playable to run of the iGPU but if it's stable it might be the PSU or the 1080 that's the problem.

Aug 8, 2018

well the thing is i got the 1080 with the 550w power supply. i upgraded the gpu from a 970 to the 1080, and a 550 watt power supply to acompany it. the crashes still happened back then unitl i thought i found a fix by increasing the voltage to the cpu. regardless of the gpu or power supply the crashes still happen. the voltage increase isnt actually an increase really, its just on a manual setting in the bios at stock voltage anyway. do you think it could still be the psu, do i need to further upgrade?. i might slap in the 970 to see if it still crashes on the power supply (i think it still as it did on the old psu) but you never know

Jonas Magnusson

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

Set the cpu voltage back to auto. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR is usually related to overclocking and the cpu not getting enough voltage. I don't know if that error code also shows up when overclocking the graphics card but it's most likely not the issue. You can try to use your 970 and see if the same problem occurs.

Aug 8, 2018

yeah well when the cpu is on defaults thats when the whea_uncorrectable error occured. its only when i turn the voltage up it hangs on game but doesnt crash in general use. the 970 didnt change anything. im really stuck :)