1070 sli or 1080???

Mursalin

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I currently own a gtx 1070 and i thought about buying another 1070 and sli or just buy a single 1080.but is it worth it ? And what psu would you recommend for this? Currently i have a cx 600 which is old . I will play COD ww2, black ops 4, + future upcoming games.

My specs

Gtx 1070
12gb ram
Ryzen 2700x
Corsair cx 600

Thanks in advance

:)

Solution
guanyu210379 has the best answer here. In terms of the sli/crossfire support yes that software is almost completely irrelevant nowadays.

It looks cool yes but in terms of performance you do need a very well supported game of which there are not a lot of that require sli to drive (https://www.game-debate.com/news/10694/complete-list-of-compatible-nvidia-sli-supported-games).

To add to that a fairly powerful CPU to accompany a sli system is required which you do have in fairness.

At the end of the day though wait for the new gen to come out. You could probably snag the 1170/80 in November / December for around £500 - black Friday and Christmas specials. Prices for the new gen will be high initially so as to sell off the bulk of last...
2x1070s should be faster than a single 1080 but only if the game support SLI
SLI/XFire performance scaling depends on the game, it is not 2x, VRAM does not 2x, could have issues, not always supported, consumes 2x power, cost 2x graphic card.
I personally, do not really like multi-GPU setup.
1080 should be only around 15% faster than 1070, if you wanna really upgrade from 1070, go for 1080Ti.

Waiting for the next GTX11xx is really wise!

Bun-Kebab

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Either way, if you wait for a few weeks, and the next gen is too expensive, the 1080 should become cheaper. But, as the previous poster said, multi GPU setups aren't that great with Pascal, and you don't get such a bit performance increase with a 1080 over a 1070.

I've also got the CX600M on a rig btw, and so far it runs well. Since I don't use that rig, I don't know what to do with it, but that is something I wouldn't know much about. I might go on a stretch and assume that next gen would also have slightly improved power draws (probably not).

Also, if you can snag the next-gen GPU very early (within hours after launch), you could get it at a good price.

lachlanforster

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
guanyu210379 has the best answer here. In terms of the sli/crossfire support yes that software is almost completely irrelevant nowadays.

It looks cool yes but in terms of performance you do need a very well supported game of which there are not a lot of that require sli to drive (https://www.game-debate.com/news/10694/complete-list-of-compatible-nvidia-sli-supported-games).

To add to that a fairly powerful CPU to accompany a sli system is required which you do have in fairness.

At the end of the day though wait for the new gen to come out. You could probably snag the 1170/80 in November / December for around £500 - black Friday and Christmas specials. Prices for the new gen will be high initially so as to sell off the bulk of last gen stock.

Solution
Something to consider, you can always sell your 1070. I'm not sure on the used market in the UK, but out here (New Zealand) you'd get 60-70% of new price for a 1070. Add that to the £500 you want to spend, and you should easily be able to get the next generation GTX 1180 (or what ever they call it), plus a better PSU.