Is the GT-1030 Compatible with HP Pavilion p7-1215?

Aug 12, 2018
Is the GT-1030 compatible with the HP Pavilion p7-1215 desktop? My cousin's computer boots to ESC to enter startup, but nothing happens when he pushes esc. He is using the HP Pavilion p7-1215 and has not upgraded anything so it should be default parts.

Solution
The new videocards don't work with VGA monitors unless you use an active adapter, so that's the first thing to check. Make sure your cousin is using DVI or HDMI.

That card doesn't use a lot of power, so I doubt that's an issue. That leaves a bios compatibility issue as a possibility. Sandy Bridge, socket 1155, was right on the edge of compatibility for cards made with a UEFI bios in mind, which is what the newer cards were designed for. Some Sandy Bridge systems work fine with these cards in legacy bios mode, some don't.

What I would do is install the card, but connect the monitor to the integrated graphics. Then boot into the bios. Look for the section showing the expansion slots. It should show that it detects a card installed in...
The new videocards don't work with VGA monitors unless you use an active adapter, so that's the first thing to check. Make sure your cousin is using DVI or HDMI.

That card doesn't use a lot of power, so I doubt that's an issue. That leaves a bios compatibility issue as a possibility. Sandy Bridge, socket 1155, was right on the edge of compatibility for cards made with a UEFI bios in mind, which is what the newer cards were designed for. Some Sandy Bridge systems work fine with these cards in legacy bios mode, some don't.

What I would do is install the card, but connect the monitor to the integrated graphics. Then boot into the bios. Look for the section showing the expansion slots. It should show that it detects a card installed in the pci-ex slot, even though he is not using the card at this point. If it does NOT show the card, that means the computer can't see the card for some reason. At that point I'd check the HP site for this computer and see if they offer a newer bios than the one he's using.

Solution