i7 8700 TurboBoost jumping to 100% utility while gaming

Ragna

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Good day. Yesterday, I went and tried to use TurboBoost while playing a new game called Monster Hunter World, and I noticed that many times, my CPU went from around 60-70% utility to 100%, where it stayed for significant amount of time, even in non cpu heavy moments (searching menus, being afk in town, etc...)

This kinda bothers me, as with without turbo boost, at 3.2Ghz, the load was max around 70% utility and max 65C temperature, and WITH the turbo boost at 4.3Ghz I was reaching the same temperatures, but the load jumped to 100% and stayed there. Not to mention, I like to stream and run background programs, and I fear that using TurboBoost and stream at the same time will give me pc a bad time.

If anyone has any idea if this is how turbo boost is supposed to be, or if I am doing something wrong, please let me know.

Hardware + notes :

Z370 AORUS Gaming K3
I7 8700 + stock cooler (only in stress test, i experienced 70-80 temps)
Gtx 1070 ti
16gb DDR4 3000Mhz
Game : Monster Hunter World (all settings almost maxed out, locked at 60fps)

Solution
If the Dark Rock 4 does fit in your Budget i would go for that.
It is a clean black Design with good cooling performance and no LED s*** or stuff like that.
The Cooler is rated for 200+Watts of heatoutput so you cpu will stay at max. 60 Degree C even under full load :D
And their fans are actually really quiet :)
Monster Hunter is a pretty new game that came out last week from what i know.
I´ve seen people complaining about performance issues here and there.

Does this also happen in other games?
If not then MHW needs some optimization :D

Ragna

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
I have not tried other games. I will soon and post here again.

But still, It doesnt make sense to me, that with stock clock speed, the cpu utilization is lower, than using TB, which makes the cores faster. There should not be any difference in loads, if any, it should be lower. Correct me if I have this wrong.

Also. for some reason my PC gets noisier with TB, even if the temps and load are low, but the clock speed is at 4.3. Can I simply fix this by replacing the stock cooler for cpu?

Ragna

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
OK. So I have some numbers with TB on and off.

Stock clock speed :

- Escape from Tarkov = 35% load on avarege , 54C temperature peak
- PUBG = 37% load on avarege , 54C temperature peak
- Overwatch = 30% load on avarege , 59C temperature peak
- Monster hunter World = 60% load on avarege , 56C temperature peak

Turbo Boost speed :

- Escape from Tarkov = 45% load on avarege , 69C temperature peak
- PUBG = 41% load on avarege , 68C temperature peak
- Overwatch = 33% load on avarege , 68C temperature peak
- Monster Hunter World = 63% load on avarege , 74C temperature peak
(side note: 78C temp peak when startin the game, 55% load on avg after few minutes of playing)

So, I have learned, that with TB turned on, the i7 8700 CPU load gets a little bit higher, but not by much. my Question : Is this normal behavior while turbo boosting? Or is there some way to tweak that?

Second Question : after those tests and the results, I want to buy a new, proper CPU cooler. The stock is not performing that badly, but is noisy when boosting to 4.3, and I would like to play games with less than 70C temps. Any suggestions on what cooler is good for this CPU (my case is NZXT s340)

p.s. - Monster hunter World needs some serious optimizations done :D

I am not sure how Turbo Boost is working. I have a Gigabyte Board but i dont remember it having TB... Anyway my cpu is running @ 4,8 Ghz so i dont need that either but thats another topic.

I can imagine that the cpu does get used more since TB might override the Powerlimits for your cpu (should be 65W normally) and therefore allow for higher Clockspeeds or something like that.

Second Question: Depends on your Budget and wishes.
You can go with Something really usuall like the Dark Rock 4 from BeQuiet! or you can buy somehting with LED Fans etc...
There are too many options.

Ragna

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Thank you for your reply. I dont care too much for the looks, I just wish to have a decent cooler that will keep the cpu cool, so I wont be nervous, when I start seeing +/-70 temps :D

If the Dark Rock 4 does fit in your Budget i would go for that.
It is a clean black Design with good cooling performance and no LED s*** or stuff like that.
The Cooler is rated for 200+Watts of heatoutput so you cpu will stay at max. 60 Degree C even under full load :D
And their fans are actually really quiet :)

Solution