i5 6600 non k overclock

Aug 16, 2018
Okay so, since my warranty expired i went ahead and got myself a nice AIO cooler and F5g BIOS to overclock via BCLK.

It was going fine untill i hit the wall at 4.62 GHz @ 1.33 Vcore. Under AIDA64 i hit max temp 50 under 1 hr load.

My specs:
Crucial 1x16GB DDR4-2400MHz
i5-6600 non k (140BCLK x 33 multiplier and memory set to 16x to offset for BCLK down to rated 2400MHz)
GTX 1050TI
Gigabyte z170-HD3P
Cooler Master Masterliquid lite 240

Questions i have are following: Pushing it further than this seems to eat a lot of voltage. Going by forums ive seen safe voltage numbers being thrown around 1.35-1.38 for daily use and gaming. Will tinkering with my RAM timings, Vram and RAM clocks along with VCCIO and VCCSA help me push this further out possibly to 4.8 and maybe 5.0 GHz? Should i get better RAM if i want to squeeze more performance out of CPU? Does RAM slot in which i seat my DIMM matter anymore in this day and age?

Update 1: I have noticed that CPU-Z shows different voltage from what is set in BIOS. when i was trying to get it to pass stress test at 4.7GHz at 1.37v it showed 1.36v. And while set to 1.335v it shows 1.32v. Is this worth noting?

Thanks for answers!

Solution
Update 1: I have noticed that CPU-Z shows different voltage from what is set in BIOS. when i was trying to get it to pass stress test at 4.7GHz at 1.37v it showed 1.36v. And while set to 1.335v it shows 1.32v. Is this worth noting?
Enable LLC (Load Line Calibration). It prevents voltage drop. A must for high OC. Level 4-5 (50%) or higher should get the job done. Disable power saving too.

Going by forums ive seen safe voltage numbers being thrown around 1.35-1.38 for daily use and gaming.
You're fine till 1.40v.
http://imgur.com/ksKW5Jk.jpg

Under AIDA64 i hit max temp 50 under 1 hr load.
Nice. Keep it below 80c for daily usage.

Will tinkering with my RAM timings, Vram and RAM clocks along with VCCIO and VCCSA help...

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
You don't and can't do apple to apple your current parts to those even with exact same parts

Go for big air cooler such as Noctua NH-D5S, going for closed loop AIO is bad investment (pump usually is the first to fail), if you must then go for open loop (very expensive but worthwhile).

Usually fast RAM is useful at media handling (large 4K video and transcoding) or onboard video, just add identical RAM to enable dual channel RAM should do it.

Consider use fast NVMe drive such as Samsung 970 Pro, at least it will boot Windows faster + faster program load + saving work faster.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Enable LLC (Load Line Calibration). It prevents voltage drop. A must for high OC. Level 4-5 (50%) or higher should get the job done. Disable power saving too.

Going by forums ive seen safe voltage numbers being thrown around 1.35-1.38 for daily use and gaming.
You're fine till 1.40v.
http://imgur.com/ksKW5Jk.jpg

Under AIDA64 i hit max temp 50 under 1 hr load.
Nice. Keep it below 80c for daily usage.

Will tinkering with my RAM timings, Vram and RAM clocks along with VCCIO and VCCSA help me push this further out possibly to 4.8 and maybe 5.0 GHz?
No. RAM and CPU overclock usually doesn't interfere with each other. VCCSA/System Agent increase is needed when increasing BLCK. VCCIO is for RAM OC.

Should i get better RAM if i want to squeeze more performance out of CPU?
You could overclock the RAM itself. DRAM voltage is fine till 1.35v.

Does RAM slot in which i seat my DIMM matter anymore in this day and age?
No. Unless you're using more than one RAM.

Solution
Aug 16, 2018

Hello there again,

I had time to play around again. VCCSA has literary 0 effect on system and LLC is already set to high. Since im using F5p BIOS it says that all power saving features like C states and stuff are disabled but in BIOS i still see them enabled, should i disable them (talking about C2 C4 C5 states and others)? Because i can get into desktop at even 5,0Ghz but it freezes after around 5 sec no matter what voltage it is at. Tried in 0.005v increments from 1.37 to 1.40 while trying VCCSA from stock 1.06 in increments of 0.005v aswell at each voltage every time im aboue 4.72GHZ it just wont stay stable in desktop for longer than 5 seconds.

Also i noticed certain BCLKs are just completly unstable, for example 139 wont boot at all, but all other settings the same as 143 that i use atm, which seems weird.

Did i hit a wall here?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Also i noticed certain BCLKs are just completly unstable, for example 139 wont boot at all, but all other settings the same as 143 that i use atm, which seems weird.
Yeah, BCLK is very picky about it as everything gets overclocked. I dabbled in it once, got up to 167, then reset BIOS as I got bored with the constant adjustments needed.
Should i get better RAM if i want to squeeze more performance out of CPU?
Sorry, forgot to tell this. Most people underclock the RAM as BLCK increase overclocks it. After they are done with BCLK, they start increasing RAM clocks. They also disable iGPU.
VCCSA has literary 0 effect on system
That's weird. Try increasing both VCCSA + VCCIO.
should i disable them (talking about C2 C4 C5 states and others)?
Whenever I want to experiment, I save my stable OC profile. Then I start messing around with all kinds of things. (except safety measure like overvoltage protection or ...)
Did i hit a wall here?
Maybe. Most people can't go above 110.
You could call it a day with your stable OC or you could buy a second hand 6600k or better and say goodbye to all the headache. If you decide to upgrade, make sure it has long return time to "torture test" like a drill sergeant.