Will GT 1030 work with my mobo + cpu?

Aug 16, 2018
CPU: Dual Core E5700
Mobo: ECS G41T-R3 with PCIe 1.1x

I am planning to upgrade my now broken GT 9600 gpu into maybe a gtx 650 or gt 1030. However, I'm not sure if getting gtx 650 is the best choice for me since apparently my psu doesn't have a 6 pin connector which sucks. I could buy a dual molex to 6 pin adapter but its risky and i don't want my pc to explode.

So now I'm leaning towards buying the gt 1030 since it doesn't need a 6 pin connector. One issue comes into my mind that idk if my motherboard can support the card. I've read a lot of threads saying that it usually depends whether i have uefi or legacy. I have a legacy mobo and some say that it can have some issues.

Questions:
1. Will a GT 1030 work with my mobo?
2. Will there be a bottleneck between my cpu and gpu?
3. Is it safe to use a dual molex to 6 pin for gtx 650 instead?

Solution
1) yes, most modern cards can switch between UEFI and legacy BIOS if needed.
2) I doubt it.
3) Depends which PSU exactly. But as a general rule, avoid it.

Btw, the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti usually don't need a 6-pin and is a whole lot faster than either of those other cards. But there will be some CPU bottleneck if you never plan on upgrading your CPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
1) yes, most modern cards can switch between UEFI and legacy BIOS if needed.
2) I doubt it.
3) Depends which PSU exactly. But as a general rule, avoid it.

Btw, the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti usually don't need a 6-pin and is a whole lot faster than either of those other cards. But there will be some CPU bottleneck if you never plan on upgrading your CPU.

Solution
Aug 16, 2018

Thank you for your answer. I just checked my psu and based on what i've read throughout multiple forums, i can't use a dual molex to 6 pin so a gtx 650 gpu is now impossible.
I'm actually planning to buy a core 2 quad q9550 to upgrade my cpu. I just don't have enough money to buy gt 1030 and the q9550 at the same time. I also want to buy the 1050 or 1050ti but i don't know if my budget allows it thats why i'm sticking with maybe a 1030 or something else

Follow-up questions: (sorry if i ask too much lmao)
1. Will the GT 1030 bottleneck the q9550?
2. The q9550 i'm about to buy doesn't include a cooler. Is it safe to use the stock cooler for my e5700 cpu? For reference, e5700 has 65w tdp while the q9550 has 95w.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ask away all you want. That's what we're here for ;-)
1) gfx cards don't exactly "bottleneck" CPUs. But the Q9550 can use a much faster card before it can't keep up with the GPU. You want the gfx card to run at 100% usage when needed. The CPU has more jobs to do that just keep up with the GPU. So ideally, you'd want some usage headroom left over for the CPU so it isn't at 100% usage (or choking) when gaming.

2) Not a good idea. The Q9550 will overheat pressed. For idle usage or lite desktop usage you can probably get by, but don't try gaming or anything that will run the Q9550 at high usage.
Here is an inexpensive cooler that will work on the Q9550/775 socket. 130W TDP.

Aug 16, 2018

I see. It is really not ideal to use a 65w cooler on a 95w cpu. But based on what i've read on other forums, some people use 65w coolers on 95w cpus and they don't notice any overheating. Even the seller of my q9550 uses an intel hsf. I don't know it's just a simple case of blind-leading-the-blind or if its actually true.

Another question:
1. I only plan on using this pc for internet browsing and mostly playing Dota 2, a game that is not that heavy i think(?). I also plan to repaste everything before I start using it. Can I still use my old repasted cooler for the q9550?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Try the old cooler since you already have it. Keep an eye on core temps when gaming.
CompuTronix suggests keeping core temps below 80C. Intel says that 71.4C is their recommended max. The Q9550 will throttle at 100C.
In other words, it all depends on your usage, ambient temps in your area, and the airflow in the case. But Intel moved to a beefier cooler for their Core 2 Quad cores for a reason.

...in the mean time, save up for a decent cooler.

TRENDING THREADS