Used 850 Evo or New Kingston A400

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
I'm planning to buy an SSD. I have a dilemma between buying an used 250gb samsung 850 evo or buying a new 240gb kingston a400.

The used 850 Evo is $61 and the new a400 is $53
The seller sent a picture of his 850 evo's hard disk sentinel test, it says:

Performance: 100%
Health: 100%
Power on time: 4 days, 15 hours
Estimated remaining lifetime: more than 1000 days
Lifetime writes: 144.15 GB

Is it good enough? He said that its warranty is over, should I take a risk or buy the new kingston A400 instead? I'm not an expert on this subject, could someone please help me

Solution
You are right to be unsure, and I'd almost guarantee that's a scam artist trying to sell you a drive that either has issues or has a tone of TB written, while using a fake screenshot using a different drive.

Again, buy new. Get warranty. Don't get ripped off. ANY new SSD is better than a used one you know nothing about.
You don't know that the screenshot he send is actually from that drive, so I would advise you not trust it unless you see it in person.

I'd recommend buying a new device, that comes with full warranty, over a used device that you have no clue about it's history and will not have a warranty since you are a third party buyer without an original receipt or invoice showing you purchased it.

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
In my country, the cheapest new 250gb Samsung 850 Evo are about $85 and the cheapest 250gb Crucial MX500 are about $110. My country (Indonesia) is * up

<Language, please>

You are right to be unsure, and I'd almost guarantee that's a scam artist trying to sell you a drive that either has issues or has a tone of TB written, while using a fake screenshot using a different drive.

Again, buy new. Get warranty. Don't get ripped off. ANY new SSD is better than a used one you know nothing about.

Solution

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
From the screenshot, it clearly says that he indeed tested Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. And if he doesn't send me the product I order, it can be returned and they will give my money back

And you KNOW for certain that he doesn't have five other Samsung 850 EVO units on hand that he could test with, and post as if it were the drive he's selling you when it in fact isn't the same drive?

I could post a video of me running a number of different motherboards I have on hand, which are the same model as one I have that has failed on three of the USB ports, and rip somebody off by shipping them the one that the USB ports don't work on. Not that hard to fool a buyer in that way.

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
Btw, based from your knowledge/experience is the speed difference between the 850 Evo and Kingston A400 noticeable? Because the 250gb Samsung 850 Evo is ranked at 139th and 240gb Kingston A400 is ranked at 543rd on ssd.userbenchmark.com. I won't be sceptical anymore to buy the new 240gb kingston A400 if the difference is barely noticeable

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
@darkbreeze Yeah I'm aware that the performance is different, but is the "a bit better" here noticeable? For example, it takes 20 seconds to load GTA V on the 850 Evo and takes 23 seconds on the Kingston A400. If the difference is that close, I will be confident to buy the Kingston A400.

Only the write performance is significant from what I can see. There is not IOPS random performance specification I can find listed for the A400 to compare, and the sequential read performance is very similar between the two drives so if game loading is what you are looking for, then there is not a giant gap between them.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. Most day to day operations happen down at the 4k level.