What is better: i5-7500 + RTX 2080 or i5 8400 + GTX 1080

Thief_3_WannaBe

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Good day guys, i have saved enough money to buy one of the following as stated in the title.

As of now my computer specs are:
Proc: Intel i3-7100
Mobo: MSI H110m
Ram: 2x4GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Gpu: NVidia GTX 670
HDD: Seagate 500 GB
PSU: Seasonic S12 520w

This is my dilemma, option 1, i can just upgrade my proc and get the latest graphics that will be released this month. Option 2, I will buy brand new coffee lake i5 8400 and h370 or b360 motherboard and just settle with used gtx 1080(really dirt cheap, not used in mining).

please help me choose the best option that will give me more fps in MH world, PUBG and Euro Truck Sim 2.

thank you in advance for your answers.

Solution
Pricing of the RTX 2080 hasn't even been officially announced yet, but chances are that it may cost as much or more than a 1080 Ti at launch. So, the difference in price between it and even a new GTX 1080 will likely be a lot more than the cost of a new motherboard. It's also possible that a 2070 might cost less than a 1080 while offering more performance. Personally, I would probably wait a bit to see what the prices and performance of these new cards is like before buying a new card. If the new cards offer more performance for the money, which they most likely will, then even the prices of existing models should drop.

You can get used 1080's on ebay for dirt chip, so there's always that option. Will save you a ton.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
If you upgrade your CPU you will likely also have to upgrade your RAM and motherboard. So keep that in mind. Also when the new 2080 launches, you may not necessarily be able to get a hold of it for quite awhile since it's new tech.

Pricing of the RTX 2080 hasn't even been officially announced yet, but chances are that it may cost as much or more than a 1080 Ti at launch. So, the difference in price between it and even a new GTX 1080 will likely be a lot more than the cost of a new motherboard. It's also possible that a 2070 might cost less than a 1080 while offering more performance. Personally, I would probably wait a bit to see what the prices and performance of these new cards is like before buying a new card. If the new cards offer more performance for the money, which they most likely will, then even the prices of existing models should drop.

Solution