2x 760 SLIs or 1x 1070 Ti?

Sep 4, 2018
I've just bought an Oculus Rift, and am wondering whether I need to upgrade the graphics card. This is probably a really N00b question, as I don't know a huge amount about graphics card performance, but at the moment my PC has 2 SLI-linked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 cards. The recommended spec for the Rift is a 1060, and I'm considering getting the 1070 Ti, as it would enable SLI should I want it in the future. The question is: is that ACTUALLY going to be much better performance than the two 760s? Or with both the 760s there, is getting the 1070 Ti a waste? Sorry - as I said, it's probably a really stupid question to someone who knows a lot more about this than I do!

Solution
A 1070ti will run circles around your current setup. Its always preferable to get a single more powerful card rather than trying to sli 2 weaker ones. With sli you aren't guaranteed a certain % of performance gain and it seems that games nowadays make less and less use of it.
A 1070ti will run circles around your current setup. Its always preferable to get a single more powerful card rather than trying to sli 2 weaker ones. With sli you aren't guaranteed a certain % of performance gain and it seems that games nowadays make less and less use of it.

Solution
Sep 4, 2018

Many thanks indeed for this - massively helpful!