Rx 460 compatibility question.

Sep 5, 2018
So I’m planning on purchasing a RX 460 for an old 2009 desktop I have. Namely the HP a6700y. I know I’m better off buying a whole new pc but for right now I would rather pay $60 for a gpu I could use for a good amount of time as I research and gather the funds for future upgrades. Now my question is if it’ll run on the MCP61PM-HM (nettle3) motherboard as it uses BIOS and later gpus tend to have issues with old motherboards because they use UEFI while the mobos use BIOS. But for this card specifically some people report that it does in fact work. So before I buy the gpu I want to be 100% certain that it will just be “plug and play” and not have any issues and that is my question. If anyone has experience with my motherboard or similar to it and could provide any reassurance it would help ease my mind greatly. From scouring the Internet I think there’s a good chance it will work but I would love more reassurance.

Also anyone know if the 4gb dual fam version would fit in this motherboard? It looks as if the ram slots would be in the way but I’m not entirely sure how the gpu would fit in its pcie slot. So for now I’m looking into getting a single fan 2gb version. My games are mostly indie/low graphic intensive so I’m not expecting to play AAA titles on high/ultra.

Solution
There are many reports claiming that the card won't work with legacy bios so no one can guarantee. On top of that, your cpu will bottleneck the rx460 in so many ways for modern gaming. The 4 gb version fits without problem for the ram slots. If the gpu is low on price just invest on it and try it. If it doesn;t work, keep it and wait for a reasonable upgrade.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS update? If so I'd suggest that you borrow a GPU of the same make and model from a friend or neighbor and try it out on your system before investing because as you're aware of the card will not work in a UEFI lacking BIOS motherboard. I'd be more concerned about the power delivery capability of a system that old. Prebuilts of that time came bundled with cheap firestarter'ish units.

FYI, with that platform, you're best leaving it as is. Work off the iGPU and perform your research without investing in hardware that may or may not work.

Sep 5, 2018
I would assume so but I can double check later today. All of my friends are into consoles (I have a ps4 myself) so that wouldn’t be an option. It’s a 300w PSU and the card only needs 75w which is supplied from the pcie slot from what I’ve read. Worst case scenario if it doesn’t work is just that I can keep it tucked away until I upgrade the motherboard which would then become a priority. But I have found that this set up has worked for people but there’s also lots of others it hasn’t worked for, albeit those users mostly had Dell systems. I think I’m just a little paranoid and want it to work guaranteed.

There are many reports claiming that the card won't work with legacy bios so no one can guarantee. On top of that, your cpu will bottleneck the rx460 in so many ways for modern gaming. The 4 gb version fits without problem for the ram slots. If the gpu is low on price just invest on it and try it. If it doesn;t work, keep it and wait for a reasonable upgrade.

Solution
Sep 5, 2018
Actually that’s right, the 1050ti is about double the price of the rx 460 but in real world usage it’s not really THAT much better, only about 10-20%. So I’ll save that extra money for potentially future upgrades and get the rx 460 as it’s looking like it’ll work.