1080 ti mem OC too good to be true?

Sep 11, 2018
First time PC builder. Running my Zotac Amp! 1080 ti on Afterburner at +800mhz memory and +50 core (any more is unstable). Temp and Voltage sliders maxed. Fans 70ish%. Ran Kombuster and Superposition many times as well as several hours of GTA V at 1440p Max settings... perfectly stable. I was bummed I couldn't get more out of the core, but the memory just kept asking for more. Is it too good to be true?

Solution
GDDR5 uses error correction so the only symptom of overclocking too far is the benchmarks start to get slower, because bad data is discarded and has to be recalculated if the checksums don't match. At least until the errors overwhelm the correction mechanism.

That's why you have to look at where fps in benchmarks stops increasing, not stability or any artifacts. There won't be any, but many corrections increases workload and heat which can kill things dead.

That said, GDDR5X has an effective memory speed of 8x memory clock, up from the 4x of GDDR5. So that "+800MHz" may just be 100MHz bump x8, or 7% overclock (the 1080ti reference speed is 1376MHz x8). The Titan Xp runs at 1426MHz at default so +400MHz should be perfectly safe.
GDDR5 uses error correction so the only symptom of overclocking too far is the benchmarks start to get slower, because bad data is discarded and has to be recalculated if the checksums don't match. At least until the errors overwhelm the correction mechanism.

That's why you have to look at where fps in benchmarks stops increasing, not stability or any artifacts. There won't be any, but many corrections increases workload and heat which can kill things dead.

That said, GDDR5X has an effective memory speed of 8x memory clock, up from the 4x of GDDR5. So that "+800MHz" may just be 100MHz bump x8, or 7% overclock (the 1080ti reference speed is 1376MHz x8). The Titan Xp runs at 1426MHz at default so +400MHz should be perfectly safe.

Solution

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Most manufacturers only OC the core clock and leave the memory clock alone hence the high offset you achieved. Every Gigabyte GPU I tested, had core clock OC below 200MHz and memory above 400.

My previous 1050Ti was stable at +120MHz core and +950MHz memory while it began artifacting at +150/+1000.

Sep 11, 2018
Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

What I plan on doing is running 4 benchmarks tonight on Superposition. 3x each at +800, 600, 400 and 200mhz memory overclock and recording my FPS and GPU temps. It will be interesting to see if there's a point at which gains become negligible.