Solved

GPU Upgrade Recommendations

Had this build for almost 4 years now and wanting an upgrade GPU wise. I am not rich keep in mind, lol. Could you recommend a solid GPU that my CPU would not bottleneck? I was thinking a GTX 1050 Ti or something. Anything around that price. Thanks.

Current Build:
Fx-6300
Gigabyte 970A-D3p
Ripjaws 2 x 4gb 1600 ram
Kingston 120gb SSD
200r corsair
corsair cs650m
sapphire dual-x 270x 2gb graphics card
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gpu upgrade recommendations
  1. cpu will bottleneck in modern games, but 1050ti is fine
  2. kerberos_20 said:
    cpu will bottleneck in modern games, but 1050ti is fine


    So what about games like LoL and Fornite? Those are primarily the games I play.
  3. I am currently using a 1050 Ti and am happy with the performance. WoT and GW2 main games right now. It does well in those games.
    My system is newer with a i5 8th gen cpu so I can multitask some with streaming TV, and play either of the two at the same time.
  4. lol isnt demanding, but fortnite would bottleneck with your cpu
  5. kerberos_20 said:
    lol isnt demanding, but fortnite would bottleneck with your cpu


    Alright, thanks. That now means I'm left with two options:
    Option 1: upgrade GPU with 1050ti and just let it bottleneck. FPS should still be better than my current setup.
    or
    Option 2: upgrade to Ryzen 2200G, Asus Prime B450M-A mATX, ADATA 2 x 4gb 3000Mhz ram, but no gpu upgrade. I will however, probably upgrade gpu's later in the future (much later)

    Both options will cost me roughly same, what would you recommend?
  6. well actually that integrated GPU on r5 220g is not so bad
  7. Best answer
    Option 2 gets my vote. See here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

    A 1050ti isn't much of an improvement over your R9 270x, therefore the cpu upgrade would be the better investment - BUT...
    The igpu on the 2200g(on par with GT 1030/RX 550) is weaker than your 270x, so you won't be relying on it anyway. The other thing is the pcie lane reduction when using 2200g/2400g. What this means is, for example, you have multiple storage solutions or other peripherals(like sound cards) you want to use on that board, but you won't be able to use all of them due to the limited shared bandwidth - only 8 lanes when using those 2 cpus, 16(20) with the other models. But this is a non-issue if your pc has the bare minimum setup, bar all the extra attachments.
    You can upgrade to a 2600x or w/e later if you wish.

    One other thing. With Ryzen, you are going to want faster ram(more expensive), at least 3000mhz. Ryzen shines with it. Getting cheaper, slower sticks will just hurt you later.
  8. Phaaze88 said:
    Option 2 gets my vote. See here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

    A 1050ti isn't much of an improvement over your R9 270x, therefore the cpu upgrade would be the better investment - BUT...
    The igpu on the 2200g(on par with GT 1030/RX 550) is weaker than your 270x, so you won't be relying on it anyway. The other thing is the pcie lane reduction when using 2200g/2400g. What this means is, for example, you have multiple storage solutions or other peripherals(like sound cards) you want to use on that board, but you won't be able to use all of them due to the limited shared bandwidth - only 8 lanes when using those 2 cpus, 16(20) with the other models. But this is a non-issue if your pc has the bare minimum setup, bar all the extra attachments.
    You can upgrade to a 2600x or w/e later if you wish.

    One other thing. With Ryzen, you are going to want faster ram(more expensive), at least 3000mhz. Ryzen shines with it. Getting cheaper, slower sticks will just hurt you later.


    Thank you! Yeah I mentioned previously that I was looking at 3000mhz ram for that reason.
    Also would you suggest an ATX over mATX mobo? Or is this mATX fine? I will be fitting these parts in my Corsair 200R case. I will most likely upgrade the CPU in the future. Or I could just save a little more money, still deciding haha.

    Here's what I plan to buy as of right now, everything look good?

    Upgrade:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.89 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.01 @ Amazon)
    Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $265.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-11 21:31 EDT-0400
  9. If it were me I'd upgrade CPU/motherboard/ram as well, since you can still game with the 270x. No, it's not as fast as the 1050 Ti and doesn't have as much vram, but if your card is hobbled by a slow CPU that's a moot point.

    The main difference in motherboards is the expandability. For example, if you use a dual slot videocard that means you use the pci-ex x16 slot AND the slot right next to it, leaving you one slot open. Not a problem if all you will ever install is the videocard plus one other pci-e card. But if you want to use that other slot one day, then losing that other slot is a big deal. So put some thought into any possible expansion you might possibly do and make sure the motherboard you pick allows you that flexibility.
  10. fattybobbyjones said:
    Phaaze88 said:
    Option 2 gets my vote. See here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

    A 1050ti isn't much of an improvement over your R9 270x, therefore the cpu upgrade would be the better investment - BUT...
    The igpu on the 2200g(on par with GT 1030/RX 550) is weaker than your 270x, so you won't be relying on it anyway. The other thing is the pcie lane reduction when using 2200g/2400g. What this means is, for example, you have multiple storage solutions or other peripherals(like sound cards) you want to use on that board, but you won't be able to use all of them due to the limited shared bandwidth - only 8 lanes when using those 2 cpus, 16(20) with the other models. But this is a non-issue if your pc has the bare minimum setup, bar all the extra attachments.
    You can upgrade to a 2600x or w/e later if you wish.

    One other thing. With Ryzen, you are going to want faster ram(more expensive), at least 3000mhz. Ryzen shines with it. Getting cheaper, slower sticks will just hurt you later.


    Thank you! Yeah I mentioned previously that I was looking at 3000mhz ram for that reason.
    Also would you suggest an ATX over mATX mobo? Or is this mATX fine? I will be fitting these parts in my Corsair 200R case. I will most likely upgrade the CPU in the future. Or I could just save a little more money, still deciding haha.

    Here's what I plan to buy as of right now, everything look good?

    Upgrade:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.89 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.01 @ Amazon)
    Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $265.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-11 21:31 EDT-0400



    That looks just fine for a budget build.
    Your choice of motherboards comes down to features. If you know exactly what you want, then it becomes easier. Don't waste money on boards with a bunch of features you won't, or 'might want to use later' - that wasted cash could've gone towards something else. Dontlistentome makes a good point about said features.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Build