Can i use a 802.11ac networkscard on my MoBo?

Sep 13, 2018
[Moderator note: moved post to Wireless Networking.]

Hi, I got this old, msi z77 mpowerd MoBo and have been having some issues with the on board WiFi drivers, and have given it up, so i was starting to look into different WiFi networkscards. But when i looked into the MoBo specs it said "• Supports Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n" but I did not know if that was the on board WiFi or the types of WiFi cards i could use on the board. So the question is, can i get a networkcard that uses "802.11ac", or won't that work?(I have the ASUS PCE-AC68 AC1900 in mind)

Also, if anyone know anything about the drivers that are suposed to go in the on board WiFi, that would be greate, i have been trying so many different drivers, both from posts on Tomshardwere, and other sites, and i can simply notget it to work. Any help is appreciated.

Mother board: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z77_MPOWER/Specification
Also, i got Windows 10

Solution
right, the listed specs are for the onboard wifi and not add-on cards.

so grab the newest latest greatest you can and know it will work :)

note that many of these cards can offer bluetooth and other feaqtures. little extra bang for the buck is always nice for the space used.

i always suggest a card that has an antenna you can stretch out away from the pc. normally they screw into the card. this will offer the best connection over ones with a little stick antenna that will get cluttered in with all the cables and such.
Mostly it is going to be what will fit. You can use any pci-e type of wifi card. It all depend on how large your video card(s) are and what slots you have them in.

You can also use external USB devices. Size matters avoid the tiny devices designed for laptops and tablets.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right, the listed specs are for the onboard wifi and not add-on cards.

so grab the newest latest greatest you can and know it will work :)

note that many of these cards can offer bluetooth and other feaqtures. little extra bang for the buck is always nice for the space used.

i always suggest a card that has an antenna you can stretch out away from the pc. normally they screw into the card. this will offer the best connection over ones with a little stick antenna that will get cluttered in with all the cables and such.

Solution