i5-4590 + GTX 970. Upgrade to RTX 2070 ?

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Hi

I currently have a i5-4590 and a GTX 970, playing at 1080p 60hz. I cannot play every recent games with maxed graphics at 60fps.

I'm planning to rebuild a computer with an i7-9700k + RTX 2070 next year. (currently saving money for it)

Question: Is it worth it to buy the RTX 2070 as soon as it release and pair it with my i5-4590 until i can buy the i7-9700k ? I'm aware that my current CPU will be a huge bottleneck, but will i still see some improvement over my current GTX 970 ? Or should i just wait and buy it all together next yer ?

Thanks

Solution
I'd wait tell a price drop. Your CPU will be fine in many games but the days of 4C/4T CPUs being ideal for gaming are over. Enough games now use (note I did not say require) more then 4 threads. As mentioned above you can see if your being bottlenecked by looking at CPU usage. If your at 100% now in any given game a faster GPU will have little to no effect. You can also test your CPU approximate max frame rate in any give game by lowering all settings as low as they go and dropping the resolution as far as you can. Benchmark your game then and what ever FPS your getting, assuming you hit close to max CPU usage (in lightly threaded games the primary thread needs to be at 100% in well threaded games the 3-6+ threads need to be maxed out...

ikaz

Distinguished
Well that depends is your CPU reaching almost 100% while playing games that aren't running at 60 fps at 1080 with high/ultra settings ? if the answer is yes then no point i upgrading your GPU. However if your CPU is always well under 100% then upgrading your GPU will help with frame rates.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I'd wait tell a price drop. Your CPU will be fine in many games but the days of 4C/4T CPUs being ideal for gaming are over. Enough games now use (note I did not say require) more then 4 threads. As mentioned above you can see if your being bottlenecked by looking at CPU usage. If your at 100% now in any given game a faster GPU will have little to no effect. You can also test your CPU approximate max frame rate in any give game by lowering all settings as low as they go and dropping the resolution as far as you can. Benchmark your game then and what ever FPS your getting, assuming you hit close to max CPU usage (in lightly threaded games the primary thread needs to be at 100% in well threaded games the 3-6+ threads need to be maxed out or very close) which should also be monitored, now what ever that frame rate is your CPU should be able to crank out at any resolution with all graphical settings maxed out assuming your GPU is strong enough. I hope that helps.

Anyways the short of this is yes your CPU can use the RTX 2070. Some well threaded games you won't get the full use of the card but when you get a new CPU with 8 threads your GPUs power will be fully unlocked so to speak. Now the elephant in the room is the RTX 2070 is dropping this week. Prices are very high and the market segment has been moved up one notch for each card in terms of price. This is a lot. Now as a RTX 2070 buyer you're paying the old GTX XX80 prices. In a few months time things should become a little more reasonable. And if your not dead set on the RTX capabilities...there are used/new GTX 1080Ti's on sale left and right for low prices and similar performance (rumored) in games minus the new RTX and AI cores capabilities like ray tracing and DLSS. Just my two cents.

Solution