i7 8700 non-K Running 4.3 GHz at 1% Load in idle All the time

Sep 26, 2018
Hi Guys, been looking around the forums and couldn't quite figure out my specific problem.
The CPU was fine upon first check and was running at 800+/- Mhz in idle. I haven't been checking much after that, during this time a lot of windows updates have been installed, so I'm not sure if that what's causing the problem. Power mode is balanced, CPU power management is between 5% and 100%, Intel SpeedStep is also enabled, and I've reset BIOS to default a number of times.
The reason I stumbled upon this is because I installed an aftermarket cooler hence why I started checking the temps and clock speed. Idle temp is 29-32 Celsius. But the clockspeed is stil always around 4.3 GHz, and that's considering no load and the base speed is 3.2 on this guy.
I'm not an experienced builder and this is my secong build, so I have no idea what caused it, could it be that I damaged something while installing the cooler? Maybe a clean reinstall of windows will help? I am just not sure whether it's a hardware or software issue and how safe for the CPU health is it to use it at the moment? Considering of course that so far the temps even while gaming haven't been higher than 65 C. I should also point out that it does go to 800 Mhz for a fraction of a second and the goes back to 4.3 GHz. When changing it to power saving mode the clockspeed is around 3.8 on Idle, which is also higher than it's base clockspeed.
Would appreciate any info! Thanks a lot.

Solution
Most likely some background process is running and by default the cpu boosts its speed to these levels. Since you are not experiencing any thermal issues and performance is solid oberall I would say its nothing to be concerned about.
Most likely some background process is running and by default the cpu boosts its speed to these levels. Since you are not experiencing any thermal issues and performance is solid oberall I would say its nothing to be concerned about.

Solution