1150 mobo dead. Options suggestion needed.

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello everyone,

I did look through forums and did see few similar questions. Still decided to ask mine as all others are not exactly provide me with answer im looking fore.

My rig:
i5-4690K CPU
Z97m-plus MOBO
16 GIG DDR3
GTX 960 GPU

MOBO is dead. The 5v stand by light is on but nothing would start when power button is pressed. PSU fan is not moving, chasis and CPU fans are standing still as well.
My options now are: 1. look for a replacement board (1150 socket) which is pricy these days. It would cost me for Z97 chipset MOBO i want around $130+ (i would get it without hesitation for $50-70 but none exists anymore). 2. refresh the whole thing and get CPU+MOBO+RAM (looking at i5-8400 + h/z/q360/70 mobo and 16gig DDR4 ram) which will set me back about $400-450.
I would love to revive my current rig but im torn if it worth chasing tech that is on the way to become outdated.
My main use for the PC is gaming and movie/photo editing. Any suggestions?

InvalidError

Titan
What is the PSU brand and exact model? A dead PSU may still output enough voltage on 5VSB to turn on the 5VSB LED on the motherboard but have other issues that prevent it from turning on. If you are lucky, everything else is still fine and all you need is a better quality PSU.

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Psu is fine. I have test bord. All voltages on all connectors check out fine. More then that, I have about 5 different psus ranging from 400 to 700 watt. Tested on 3. See results

If nothing happens when you press the button, you might also want to verify that your case's power switch didn't fail. You could do this by shorting the pins where the power switch cable normally connects to the motherboard with something conductive like a screwdriver or paperclip. That's probably less likely than the PSU being at fault, but could potentially happen.

As for the possibility of a processor upgrade, the 4690K is still a pretty decent CPU, since the per-core performance of CPUs hasn't massively improved in recent years. The 8400 adds two cores, but on a per-core basis is only a little ahead of a 4690K at stock clocks. And if your processor is overclocked, the locked 8400 might actually be slightly slower in most games and applications that don't use the extra cores. The 8400 is likely to be the better performer as games transition to better utilizing more threads, but I wouldn't expect to see many significant performance gains in the short term, and it's questionable whether such an upgrade would be worth upward of several hundred dollars. For that kind of money, you could get a replacement motherboard, and still have enough left over to upgrade your graphics card to something like a 1070 if you sell your existing card.

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your replies. Well you know how they say...the more you know the more complicated solution you are looking for. I rotated 3 different PSU after testing them with PSU tester. Same results. I measured voltages on MOBO...all checks out. Well turn out that pulling out BIOS battery did the trick.
I apologize for bothering you guys with this. And thank you again.