Is this RX 460 safe to buy!?

Sep 29, 2018
Okay guys so I'm getting a really good deal on a RX 460 2gb however there's one problem the guy said the capacitor was broken and he had to replace it with another capacitor which was taken directly from another graphics card is that card safe to buy?

USAFRet

Titan

How much do you trust his repair skills?

InvalidError

Titan

If the broken capacitor is one of the 10-12 electrolytic/polymer bulk decoupling capacitors, then one missing or significantly sub-par cap might reduce the surviving caps' lifespan by increasing ripples. If it is a ceramic cap, 90+% of them are for power supply bypass and missing one or two won't make much of a difference since there are so many of them in a wide spread of values from 1nF to 10uF to provide sufficiently low ESR from DC to 2GHz with plenty of headroom and redundancy. Another way to put it: you wouldn't be able to achieve 10+% overclocks on GPUs if supply bypass capacitors were already anywhere near critical at stock clocks. For the remaining ~10% of ceramics, most of them are for PCIe AC-coupling and a mismatch there might disable half of the PCIe bus.

The most critical capacitors I can think of would be in the voltage regulator feedback loops: the wrong capacitors there may cause the regulators to become unstable and destroy the GPU. On modern cards though, those would be 0201 or 0402 size capacitors which are highly unlikely to get knocked out by accident or be noticed if they were due to their very small size, they're almost more solder pads than component.

Sep 29, 2018

Well he owns a computer shop has good reviews that's all I know about him lol

Sep 29, 2018

He said he took it from same graphic card so I should be good?

Sep 29, 2018

Yeah well but it seems like RX 460 doesn't work on Dell Optiplex 990 because of outdated BIOS :/

pootissandvichheavy

Commendable
Aug 19, 2018
Well, I wouldn't really advise upgrading an OEM machine. If you had mentioned that I would of said something.

Invest in a new computer, build it yourself. If you still have an Optiplex 990 then you likely don't have a problem with buying cheap parts.