[SOLVED] RX 580 8GB potential bottlenecking my AMD FX-8320

MoMacaroni

Honorable
Jan 15, 2017
Hello fellow forum users, I currently have a computer I use for everyday use, which includes intensive gaming and media consumption. In the pc now I have an AMD fx-8320 as my processor and a GTX 950 as my gpu. I can tell that my setup is quite dated and in need of an upgrade, especially because of the more intensive modern titles i play now. Now, the GPU I have been thinking of upgrading to is an AMD RX 580 8gb due to its great price to performance. My question is whether my CPU will bottleneck the performance of the GPU and is an upgrade is necessary along with the GPU. If the GPU would be bottlenecked by the CPU, how intense would it be. Any answers or thoughts are appreciated
Thanks in advance!

Solution
It's a big upgrade a 580 is better performing than a 970.. I would upgrade and then later move to upgrade the cpu. The tricky part is that you need to upgrade both really..

Gpu upgrade would see better gains now vs a cpu upgrade. I don't think your cpu is bottleneck on a 950, so minimal gains from a new cpu now. Get a 580 or whatever good card in that range. 1060 is good, 480, 570, 1070 and then upgrade the cpu..

There probably will be a bottleneck especially in more demanding games, since the FX series weren't that good for gaming to start with and they defiently didnt age well compared to even older Intel chips. If you have the budget I would upgrade your CPU,Motehrboard and RAM to DDR4 to either a Ryzen 2600 or i5-8400 (or wait for 9th gen Intel release). Or if you want a budget option, you could try and find a used Intel i7 4790/4790K and motherboard and use your current DDR3 RAM.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
It's a big upgrade a 580 is better performing than a 970.. I would upgrade and then later move to upgrade the cpu. The tricky part is that you need to upgrade both really..

Gpu upgrade would see better gains now vs a cpu upgrade. I don't think your cpu is bottleneck on a 950, so minimal gains from a new cpu now. Get a 580 or whatever good card in that range. 1060 is good, 480, 570, 1070 and then upgrade the cpu..

Solution