1070 Ti blower - normal temps?

mhmhun

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
I recently bought a used Asus Turbo 1070 Ti blower style. Idle temps are below 40C but once gaming (eg. Farcry 5) either 5min or 35min the card goes up to 82C steady, all the time, every time (haven't had the chance to have a longer play session yet). The card is not OC'ed I run the "Gaming mode" from ASUS Tweak II control application with its default values.

Now I've read that blowers tend to run hotter than open air and that NVidia states 95C as the 1070Ti's safety limit but are those the temps that everyone else with a 1070Ti/1080 blower is seeing?

Sidenote: I don't think there is much headroom for OC'ing if I hit 82 at stock frequencies already am I wrong?

Solution
Yeah, those are pretty normal for a blower design card. Most will have BIOS settings to keep it in the low-mid 80's.

A 1070TI has GPU Boost. So it'll boost up, or downclock, relative to temps (among other things).
Overclocking will not necessarily increase heat and, if it does, may still see some gains.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, those are pretty normal for a blower design card. Most will have BIOS settings to keep it in the low-mid 80's.

A 1070TI has GPU Boost. So it'll boost up, or downclock, relative to temps (among other things).
Overclocking will not necessarily increase heat and, if it does, may still see some gains.

Solution

mhmhun

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

Ok, so i can continue like this and leave it do its thing unless I start seeing 90+ I guess. I was just worried as I was reading other threads (of non-blower cards) talking about 67-70C at full load and wondered how much higher a blower is expected to run, thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, you can't really compare the blower cards to the custom designs.

I assume your GPU fan isn't running 100%? You can monitor in MSI Afterburner etc. Blower cards run hotter and, while you can typically crank the fan up some more to reduce temps some..... it's typically not worth the tradeoff in noise.

mhmhun

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

Correct. At max load and 82C steady, fans only worked at 58% according to HWInfo.

TRENDING THREADS