Got a used 850 SSD, Magician says it's fine, but it won't boot after cloning from HDD

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello all, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I finally decided to upgrade to an SSD, found a good deal on a used Samsung 850 1tb and scanned it with Samsung Magician. No problems. I can read files on the drive just fine, works tip top. I cloned a 450Gb Velociraptor to the 850 after formatting it, but no matter what I do, I can't boot from the 850. I've tried making the partitions active in Disk Part. I've run every windows utility I can find on it, I've tried both a recovery USB and my original Windows 7 64 bit disk. I just keep getting 0xc000000e error and it tells me that I need to fix it. I've burnt an entire evening on this so far, seems it should be easy enough, but I'm either missing a step, or being sabotaged by Microsoft as usual. What should I do? I did also try to reinstall windows,and Microsoft told me no, that's not allowed either. I can still boot just fine from my 'raptor, so I've lost nothing so far, except for my time.

from a working pc download windows media creation tool. make a bootable windfows 10 iso usb stick. with samsung tools do a secure erase. then power down and unplug your hard drive so you wont lose any data. boot off windows 10 usb stick and install windows 10 fresh. it ask for a key click on skip. dont log onto windows 10 with your ms id so it wont update you to windows 10 key. use a local account for now. if the ssd boots fine into windows put back the drive and secure erase it again. when you clone a drive you may also have to repair or fix the mbr.

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, this doesn't look right. Not boot in the SSD, and half of it is missing.

uc

I got Easy BCD, but the picture above makes me think no boot is the issue.

What do I do to get a real copy of the HDD and make sure my other 500gb shows up? I thought Macrium was supposed to be the best and easiest, but this is the second time it has given me a poor result.

Trying to format the drive and re-do macrium, and I get an error in both windows and admin command prompt, says system partition is not allowed to be formatted.

Tried to use DISK PART to delete the recovery partition, says it worked, but I still can't format the SSD.

You're booting from bootloader on D: drive 1TB SSD, but windows is being loaded from 500GB HDD.
You have to add bootloader entry for OS on SSD.
From elevated command prompt execute
  • bcdboot d:\windows /s d:
Disconnect your old HDD first.
Reboot and bootloader will present you with two choices of windows 10.
One windows instance will be from old hdd and one from new SSD.

If you do not disconnect HDD, then you'll mess up cloned windows installation and will have to redo the clone.

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I basically can't do anything with the disk at this point. It won't let me delete files, delete the partition, shrink the volume, format...nothing. Windows stops me from attempting any action to start over with this drive clone. I've tried in Windows, DOS (if that's what it's even called anymore) and the admin version of the command prompt.

Wait...I used my thumb drive to reach repair/command prompt and now it seems to be letting me format the drive...stand by.

Ok, I got it to format using that method, then I used disk management to expand the volume to it's "full" size.

uc

Is this the right amount of Gb in my 1tb?

Now what do I do? More formatting? Another try with Reflect? A different cloning utility?

Please talk me through the rest like I'm a baby, as I've never successfully cloned a drive (last one dumped all my personal files into the recycle bin, lost 20 years of pictures and videos)

Thanks again everyone

USAFRet

Titan
You did the clone wrong. It's still booting from the Velociraptor.

If at all possible, redo it. At the end of the clone process, you needed to disconnect the old drive and allow the system to try to boot up from only the SSD.

Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Ok, all those steps make sense, Macrium is the problem. In one step is says clone, then it says backup, and there's no option to clone, and I can't figure out how to end up with a 1TB drive, it keeps trying to make-believe that the other 500GB doesn't exist, just grays it out and presents me with the same size drive, 418GB. I need to find precise directions on how to use Macrium v7.1.3317.

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Ok, got it. The Samsung migration tool is much easier to use than Macrium, it has no options whatsoever. Pick a source, pick a destination, hit go. Took about an hour to copy, pulled the Raptor, put the Evo in it's place, took two tries to boot (my MB doesn't like to boot on the first try too much) and I'm running windows right now.

Thanks everyone, you've all been a big help, as usual.