rx 560 issues

Sep 28, 2018
Got a new card; rx 560 (bought it used, no apparent visual issues), trying to upgrade an oem machine, the Lenovo 710-25sh ideacentre. I upgraded the power supply from 250w to 700w bronze, and put the card in, and added 6 pin etc, doesnt boot. Boots fine with the factory 730 gt, but will not boot to either the motherboard vga nor the io ports on the rx 560. Is this a hardware issue or do I just need a bios update?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A BIOS update is a possibility, but I'm suspecting it's something else. I had an older Lenovo mini tower that worked with any card I put in it.
What happens exactly when you start the PC? Obviously you don't get a display, but does the PC come on and the HD light flicker like it's loading the OS?

Sep 28, 2018

The PC turns on, and all the lights flicker, and the monitor does seem to be getting *some* kind of input, because it goes from the 'requires input' screensaver to a black screen, and the blue light at the bottom starts flashing.

Sep 28, 2018

I tried both HDMI and the HDMI to DVI adapter, using multiple different monitors and hdmi cables, all coming to the same result.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since the card was bought used, is there anyone that will let you try the card on their machine to first prove the card is OK? There's really no reason that card should not work on your Lenovo mini tower if the 6-pin is powered up and securely inserted in the card's header.

Also, do you have access to a voltmeter?

Sep 28, 2018

I do actually have a voltmeter, what do I do with it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Verify that the 6-pin is providing +12v. Just trying to eliminate the obvious first. What PSU did you get?

Sep 28, 2018

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MF4RJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_RtPVBbVQDSFGE

Sep 28, 2018

Yeah. Card was bad. Got a 1060 6gb, plugged it in, worked fine.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ah! My suspicion was right. Hope you got refunded.
Btw, from a RX-560 to a GTX 1060 is a mega-jump in performance.

Sep 28, 2018

Yeah. I was looking at benchmarks for rx 560 and was like "ok I should be able to run all my games on like medium-high settings" and with the 1060 I just automatically turn on the ultra preset and I'm good