Which 2080 should I buy

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018
Im looking at getting a 2080 but i'm unsure which one to get. Theyre at my max budget anyway And I was curios to know why some are a lot more than others? Are they better or will the cheaper ones do the same?

Solution
What resolution? If you plan on staying at 1080p then a 2080 or 1080ti is an absolute waste of money. You'll not need anything more than a 1070 or 1070ti depending on price. The only reason to go as big as a 2080/1080ti is of looking at some titles at 4k/60Hz or 1440p/144Hz otherwise you'll have a massively over priced, overpowered gpu that really sits and does nothing.

To answer, it's all about user OC. The cheaper cards are pretty much designed for out of the box performance with maybe a little user OC, 8% or so. The higher end cards generally use custom pcb with much better cooling and will handle closer to a 25% OC or better. But still perform the same as their smaller brothers out of the box. So unless you have an absolute desire...

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

Thanks for the reply. So the top 2080s that cost over £250 more just have better cooling and a factory OC? Seems ridiculous considering the price increase.

WildCard999

Titan

It is, if it were me I'd save money and grab the 1080 ti as it performs fairly close and has more vram, only thing it's lacking is Ray Tracing.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I have considered this and am currently still undecided as to what to get. I'm upgrading from a 960 2gb card and want to future proof as much as I can. I'm not really fussed about the ray tracing but was more interested by the DLSS and if helps in the future. Also shouldn't we start to see better results with new drivers? The difference in price is around £100 but getting a newer card will hopefully last that bit longer before having to upgrade.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What resolution? If you plan on staying at 1080p then a 2080 or 1080ti is an absolute waste of money. You'll not need anything more than a 1070 or 1070ti depending on price. The only reason to go as big as a 2080/1080ti is of looking at some titles at 4k/60Hz or 1440p/144Hz otherwise you'll have a massively over priced, overpowered gpu that really sits and does nothing.

To answer, it's all about user OC. The cheaper cards are pretty much designed for out of the box performance with maybe a little user OC, 8% or so. The higher end cards generally use custom pcb with much better cooling and will handle closer to a 25% OC or better. But still perform the same as their smaller brothers out of the box. So unless you have an absolute desire for a specific look, or plan on actually overclocking the gpu to some decent extent, there's really not much reason to consider the more expensive versions, any 2080 will perform in the same range as any other 2080 etc.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan

What monitor do you have? If it's a 1080P/60+ then a 1070(ti) would be more then enough to last a couple of years. If it supports Freesync then I'd consider the RX 580 or even Vega 56 if you can find one for a good price. With drivers it will help with newer games and such but with either AMD or Nvidia they usually support a few generations back as well as the brand new stuff.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I currently play at 1080p 144hz but hopefully in the not too distant future ill be upgrading to a 1440p 144hz monitor. I pretty much want to be getting 144fps on as many games as I can. Also i've been using a 960 2gb for the past year which has been horrible so I want to get the best I possibly can within my budget lol.

Thanks for breaking it down for me I now undertand, I don't plan on overclocking as I have never tried it before so i'll just get the cheapest one I can.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

Currently a 1080p 144hz but I would like to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz or even a 4k 60 fps monitor when I have the spare funds. Id also like to max out as many games as I can without having to worry about my fps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1440p/144Hz definitely a 1080ti or 2080 then, but even at that resolution you'll need a cpu that can handle 144fps, many don't have the power to do so, no matter what gpu is used. The cpu sets the fps limits, the gpu is all resolution and detail settings trying to live upto those limits. There are a few settings like grass detail and viewing distance that can impact cpu performance, but the majority are gpu bound.

Any i5 of pre-coffeelake is going to struggle with most AAA titles to get beyond 100fps, simply because of thread limitations and game engine optimization putting cpu usage at or close to 100%

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I'm planning on getting an i7 8700k this should be fine to handle it right? Also i have been looking at getting a 1080ti over the 2080 but at the current prices theres a £50 difference, for that difference I think its worth getting the newer model.

johnrob

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
An i7 8700k will definitely work

I feel like an i5 8600k would be fine as well, if you plan on streaming at all though I would go for the additional threads of an i7.

As for which 2080...the one i could find closest to MSRP.

You could check out ebay for used 1080ti for a pretty hefty discount. ($550 USD is what I'm seeing them at) if you're willing to take the risk...a card that has been used to mine 24/7 might not last forever.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I have the 8700k and RTX 2080 combo. It works great. I really like the MSI Duke. It looks nice, not as heavy and thick ans the MSI Trio or Asus Strix. It runs very silent, temps are great (75C while gaming overclocked), and overclocks nice. The performance is great. I only play in WQHD 1440p. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is around 95fps on the highest video settings. I even can play Kingdom Come Deliverance on Ultra High and have around 70fps most of the time. But it still drops down in 40s in some situations. Again, that is all on all the highest settings in 1440p.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

Thanks for replying, would you say the jump between 1080p to 1440p is worth ti?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your monitor size. Most ppl with 24" monitors are using 1080p on a desk. About 3ft away from their face, and it looks good. Moving upto a 27-28" at 1080p, you have the exact same amount of pixels filling a larger area, bigger pixels. So it starts getting grainy. Sorta like if you sit too close to the TV in the living room it looks bad, but back up to 8ft or more and it clears up. So moving to a 27"-28", most will also move to 1440p, more pixels, smaller pixels, looks a lot better at the same range, but the screen is also larger. 4k is an oddball, it has so many pixels, it looks good at any size or distance, be it 24" at 3ft or 50" at 8ft.

Its more than just trying to get a better picture, gotta take your normal viewing distance, screen type (TN/VA/IPS), pc ability, fps needs etc into consideration. You may end up looking at the ultra wides too, that'll depend also on what's good for you and your setup.