R9 290 GPU no display signal not detecting

nitron64

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
My problem. As the title says.

I bought the card from a local buyer and he said it was working.

I have a GTX 960 and if i plug it in the displays work and it is detected in device manager. If I use the 290 there's no display and the IGPU doesn't work either. Both the 8 and 6 pin are plugged in.

If i check in the device manager (I have VNC on the pc and use laptop to check as there's no display from either) it only shows the microsoft basic video.

My specs =>
i7 6700K
Gigabyte Gaming 3 Z170 motherobard
16 GB(8x2) corsair vengenance ram.
Asus strix GTX 960 (Been using it for 4 Years.)
Antec TP-750W PSU 80+ GOLD

EDIT : The 290 shows sign of water damage on the back of pcb likely by rat piss. And a couple of screws are rusted and something like dusty grease.

nitron64

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

The thing is my brother did check the card a month before at the seller's house with no dust or liquid visible on the pcb.
And I have no reason to believe the seller is lying to me as he seams reliable and honest. We are texting right now and he still says the card was working.
If it doesn't work will try a refund

Hold on, if the card was clean with no visible issues when you got it, that means the damage happened when you had it. Seller has nothing to do with that. Of course liquid damage enough to cause rust and other things can kill the card.

You had the card for a month and just trying it now? If I know the card tested fine when I sold and and someone brought it back to me in a month with clear damage, I would not take it back.

You really should have put ALL the details about this card in the original post.

nitron64

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
My bad on not providing details.

I bought the card yesterday. It was on hold for a month. Seems in that one month the card got damaged somehow as it was not in his PC but the table drawer. Doesn't mean the card is dead.

I'm trying different solutions to make it work like disabling igpu, trying different inputs and clearing bios and such.

AND why isn't there a reply button in mobile site.

If there is clear damage to the card like rust, liquid, and it was not done by you, return the card. Even if you manage to get it working now the chances or it failing later are high. Much better to just look for another card.