Solved

i5 9600k and gtx 1070 ti bottlenecking?

how big or small of a bottleneck will there be between the 2, and how noticeable will it be to my performance? (if its big)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 9600k gtx 1070 bottlenecking
  1. It depends on the game, the resolution and refresh rate you're running your monitor.
  2. SgtScream said:
    It depends on the game, the resolution and refresh rate you're running your monitor.

    AA and AAA titles. 1080p with 144hz. high settings
  3. Best answer
    No it won't. Your gpu will be the bottleneck which is what you want. That cpu will be able to provide enough processing power to push your graphics card to 100% load, which will allow you to get the performance needed.
  4. SgtScream said:
    No it won't. Your gpu will be the bottleneck which is what you want. That cpu will be able to provide enough processing power to push your graphics card to 100% load, which will allow you to get the performance needed.

    Any component reaching 100% utilization is the very definition of bottlenecking. In an ideal world, you wouldn't want to reach 100% at any time for a given frame rate target since that means having to skip frames. That much CPU/GPU power isn't economically viable for most people or even achievable at any cost with current technology in some cases.

    There almost always is a bottleneck. What really matters is whether that bottleneck will occur beyond the desired frame rate for a given title, resolution and detail settings.
  5. InvalidError said:
    SgtScream said:
    No it won't. Your gpu will be the bottleneck which is what you want. That cpu will be able to provide enough processing power to push your graphics card to 100% load, which will allow you to get the performance needed.

    Any component reaching 100% utilization is the very definition of bottlenecking. In an ideal world, you wouldn't want to reach 100% at any time for a given frame rate target since that means having to skip frames. That much CPU/GPU power isn't economically viable for most people or even achievable at any cost with current technology in some cases.

    There almost always is a bottleneck. What really matters is whether that bottleneck will occur beyond the desired frame rate for a given title, resolution and detail settings.

    Are you stating graphics cards are not supposed to run at full load? I know plenty about the term bottleneck and I don't look at it in a negative sense. I'd much rather have my graphics card be a bottleneck than my cpu. If my cpu where the bottleneck then I wouldn't be fully utilizing my 2080ti which means wasted performance as well as money. I can then get the same graphical results with a lower model card with unused performance left on the table.
  6. SgtScream said:
    Are you stating graphics cards are not supposed to run at full load?

    If your goal is stable frame rates (ex.: matching vsync) instead of pointlessly high frame rates, yes, since hitting 100% GPU usage before reaching vsync means your GPU is too slow and you get frame rate dips which can be annoying.

    I'd rather have some spare GPU-power and CPU-power than put up with noticeable FPS dips for either reason.
  7. Well I can agree if OP's graphics card is way underpowered but that isn't he case for 1080p.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Performance Bottleneck Intel i5