[SOLVED] My i5 4690 (non K) is not reaching 3.9 GHz!

sindel

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi guys!

I have an i5 4690 (non k) and on every game I play my CPU doesn't reach the its maximum ratio, that is 3.9 GHz. It always on 3.7Ghz.

I'm no expert but, during gaming/under load, it isn't supposed to use everything it have?

Also, I did check everything on the BIOS and I believe everything is set correctly.
https://i.imgur.com/1ougjVc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/huu568s.jpg

P.S. Every time I changed the CPU Clock Ratio to ON (on the first picture) and change tabs it goes back to OFF, that's only a 'glitch' or it's something wrong?

Thank you!

My specs:
i54690
GTX1070
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
H97M

Solution
When all cores are under a load, it is not EVER going to go above that, unless you manually overclock the CPU. If only ONE core was under a load, which would be VERY rare and you might have to actually disable all the other cores to see that happen, then it would. Practically ALL of the time more than one core is going to be in use which means it will NOT go to 3.9Ghz. It will only go to the speed I listed above, based on how many cores the system is using at the time.

Manually overclocking, if you have good enough cooling, is probably the only way you are going to see more than 3.7Ghz and still have all cores available. It's not that hard to understand and if you still don't, then I don't know how to make you understand. I can explain...
3.9Ghz is the single core maximum turbo speed. It is very rare that a system will ONLY use one core, especially under gaming conditions. 3.7Ghz is the three core max turbo, which is what you are probably using is three cores.

1 core in use will run at 3.9Ghz,
2 core in use will run at 3.8Ghz
3 core in use will run at 3.7Ghz
4 core in use will run at 3.6Ghz

sindel

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

I'm so sorry but I don't understand. Why there is specifications and settings allowing me to set to 3.9 but is not reaching it?

I just tested on my bios again:
When I set to 3.5, it goes to 3.5Ghz.
When I set to 3.9, it never goes above 3.7GHz!

When all cores are under a load, it is not EVER going to go above that, unless you manually overclock the CPU. If only ONE core was under a load, which would be VERY rare and you might have to actually disable all the other cores to see that happen, then it would. Practically ALL of the time more than one core is going to be in use which means it will NOT go to 3.9Ghz. It will only go to the speed I listed above, based on how many cores the system is using at the time.

Manually overclocking, if you have good enough cooling, is probably the only way you are going to see more than 3.7Ghz and still have all cores available. It's not that hard to understand and if you still don't, then I don't know how to make you understand. I can explain it to you, but I can't help you to understand it if you don't.

Solution

sindel

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Yes I get it now. Why does Intel don`t allow all cores to go 3.9?

Also, my i5 is non K :( so i cant oc

You CAN make all cores go to 3.9Ghz, if you configure them manually in the bios which will require aftermarket cooling to handle the higher thermal levels and you'll need to test the system for stability and adjust the core voltage accordingly. If that is too much, then you'll just have to live with it the way it is. No other two ways.

Intel does not allow it to happen that way at the stock configuration because the cooler that it comes with cannot handle the continuous thermal design power of all cores running at 3.9Ghz using the stock cooler. Also, on some lower end motherboards, there might be other problems like VRM throttling.