[SOLVED] i3 8100 or Ryzen 5 1500x

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
I can't find much information about which one would give me the best performance in csgo. Any thoughts from you? (They're both priced the same in my country so there's no reason to talk about the pricing)

Solution
For SPECIFICALLY csgo, the 8100 is significantly better, for everything else I'd recommend a 1500X. Also, the step up to the i5 8400 is absolutely worth it and will increase the longevity of your system. What motherboards are you looking at? You don't need a Z370/390 board, the cheapest board you can get will work fine for an 8100.

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

Though, if I buy the Ryzen 5 1500X is save 60$ because the 1151-2 chipset is more expensive and the Ryzen processor is cheaper than usually. Which one would you get?

The R5 1500X is easily within spitting distance of the i3 8100 in terms of game performance and even in single thread performance because of the i3 8100's locked 3.6 GHz max speed. I would pick the R5 1500X because it's both cheaper and over clock-able, which can erase the performance gap in single and lightly threaded workloads, while it already clobbers the i3 in well threaded workloads.

For SPECIFICALLY csgo, the 8100 is significantly better, for everything else I'd recommend a 1500X. Also, the step up to the i5 8400 is absolutely worth it and will increase the longevity of your system. What motherboards are you looking at? You don't need a Z370/390 board, the cheapest board you can get will work fine for an 8100.

Solution
If the game runs significantly faster than even a high refresh rate monitor can handle, on both platforms, is there a good reason to be locked into the dead end Intel platform? Having significantly more performance is irrelevant when you can't make use of the extra performance that either platform will provide. Get the lower cost platform, the platform with a better future, or the brand that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, knowing both are more than needed to run CSGO at high frame rates and with no issues, provided of course you pair them with decent components.

200fps average vs 300 actually makes a big difference in CSGO on a 144hz monitor because you'll still be getting drops below your refresh rate pretty often on 200. The drops happen during sprays and near smokes too when you need the fps most. I wouldn't say that the 1151-2 socket is necessarily dead end, it'll support a lot of high core count processors he could upgrade to in the future. Ryzen is obviously preferable over budget intel for 99% of scenarios, but this is one of the times where if you're actually serious about the game it makes sense to go intel.

And, @OP, if you're not playing faceit or ESEA or MM at like DMG+, the fps probably isn't going to make THAT much of a difference for you, might be worth just going Ryzen and seeing what zen 2 brings in a few months.

The OP may not even have any more than a 60 Hz screen if he's going budget i3. Would take a pretty significant frame rate hit to dip that low, and I doubt even Intel's advantage in CSGO is going to solve such a glaring performance issue. Graphics card also matters. If you can spend less on an AMD chip, you may be able to bump up one rung on the GPU side of things.

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

I would get the i5 8400, but no retailer sells it below 280$, which is almost as expensive as the i5 8600k

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

MOBO: MSI B350 PC Mate