Does i7 2600 bottleneck gtx 1080?

Solution
Agree with all above

Just like to add, most games nowadays are multi threaded. Actually games since 2016 and some earlier have supported multi core/ multi threads. Saying that an i7s Hyperthreads will help. 2600 should run a 1080 decently enough even on pcie gen 2.

Also agree on frame rates mentioned above. The more fps you get the more cpu usage there is to feed the graphics card.

Even though games are becoming more and more multi core/threaded friendly, they're still heavily dependent on that primary core. Extra cores is a tremendous help in games today but Hyperthreading has shown it can go one step further in aiding that primary core with heavier loads especially at higher frame rates.

Watch this, if 8600k had HT, it's usage...

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
depends on the game as to whether it is but more than likely yes. look at the requirements of what you are running game or program and see if it requires more cpu power or gpu power. what are the rest of your system specs?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
In heavily threaded games a little bit but as a whole not really. Sandy Bridge CPUs are still solid gamers. I have a Sandy Bridge-E myself, an i7 3930K running not one but 2 GTX 1080s...granted i have more cores and threads with a decent OC that adds like 5-10FPS from stock (usually closer to 7FPS). One caveat Is I do have PCIe 3.0 patch running while your stuck with PCIe 2.0. You could lose FPS at 4K if you went there due to PCIe bandwidth bottlenecking. The point being you should have a solid experience with that CPU and GPU combo. Though I would consider a CPU upgrade as soon after CPU platforms provide PCIe 4.0 support.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Agree with all above

Just like to add, most games nowadays are multi threaded. Actually games since 2016 and some earlier have supported multi core/ multi threads. Saying that an i7s Hyperthreads will help. 2600 should run a 1080 decently enough even on pcie gen 2.

Also agree on frame rates mentioned above. The more fps you get the more cpu usage there is to feed the graphics card.

Even though games are becoming more and more multi core/threaded friendly, they're still heavily dependent on that primary core. Extra cores is a tremendous help in games today but Hyperthreading has shown it can go one step further in aiding that primary core with heavier loads especially at higher frame rates.

Watch this, if 8600k had HT, it's usage wouldn't be as high. Could say 8600k is overrated when high frame rates is of concern.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3EJzHuXok"][/video]

As said, dont aim for too high fps and you should be right. Increasing graphics to reduce frame rates or use a program like Afterburner to cap fps to a certain amount. Just keep an eye on it, Afterburner also has the ability to show real-time stats while you game.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUS3zx0DlHg&t=158s"][/video]

Solution
Yes,
I7 2600 is still fully ok for gaming, if you aim mainly for 60FPS andnot those 144FPS or even higher.
Most games are still running ok on I7 2600. Only some might already have some small hick ups (still tolerable hick ups).
I would not be that worried yet with our I7 2600.