[SOLVED] I5 2500 non k overclock tweak on Vostro 260

Sep 27, 2018
I have a i5 2500 non K about to go into a Dell vostro 260. Had a i3 2120. BIOS has the A10 update. Can this CPU be tweaked as in overclock? The fan heat sink is the stock i3 2120. Had the chance to get a i5 250K. Cost $75. No. It would cost and I would have to get a Motherboard. No no. I can play GTA V with the i3. Call of duty WWII Frames low. Question can it be done? I think the max ram is 8 gigs. This pc will be at its max. I don't know what can this pc play. How long can I run this setup before the frames drop below 40 or so? Im on a budget is why this PC is still on the front line. What I have is as follows.
i5 2500 non K
8 gigs ram.
Spare 500 PSU
1050 ti superclock in the box but running a 660 duel fan GPU 1050 single fan.
HDD WD 2 terabyte red

Solution

serioussamik17

Distinguished
i5 2500 will surely fit into the motherboard that supported the i3 2120. Go for it.
But I would advise against overclock big time. First it's a non K with locked multiplier that isn't particularly made for overclocking and second the extra power usage , RAM frequency increase and ensuing extra heat won't be worth the fairly low overclocks the non K CPU will achieve.

Sep 27, 2018

Sep 27, 2018
It was a choice between i5 2500 or the i7 2600. i7 may not work and they are basicly the same on games. i7 will do better on video edit.
OK. The non K is fine with overclocking. It has turbo boost to 3.7 GHz So if the heat is under control there should be no problems. Another way to look at it. When it was new pay more to get the K or intel locks it. But going to 4.5 GHz is a different story. That high it may not take it. At any rate this one is not a K and it will never see 4.5 GHz. I want it to see3.7 to may be 4.0 GHz. Im 100% sure no problems will arise over that. Turbo proves that. I 100% agree increasing the ram frequency isn't good in many ways. I have read threads that the non k was overclocked but cant find it. My board may not let me I don't know. are they using the turbo boost? This is a good question. This is like street racing. Indexing the spark plugs gets 1 to 4 hp. is it worth it? Im still looking how to tweak this one

serioussamik17

Distinguished

By the default Turbo Boost , both K and non K ramp up to 3.7 ghz automatically in games and video editing. So you get 3.7 Ghz in demanding applications anyways :)
Regarding the i7 s, they by default ramp up to 3.9 ghz, yes definitely they have an edge due to extra threading in video editing. So looking at the risk of overclock, your rams and the motherboard (Sandy and Ivy bridge chipsets and DDR3 rams may be hard to find in future, so replacement can be an issue for legacy products). I would suggest better get any non K version (i7 and i5 both would work on your motherboard) and let them work at default speeds with the stock cooler they come with.

Solution