Solved

PC is Underperforming!

Here are my specs
AMD ryzen 7 1700
gtx 1080ti
32 gb ram
i can barely run fortnite on 4k at 30-40 fps with a 1080ti? help!
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about underperforming
  1. Ram speed (speed it's running at, not rated)

    Cpu at stock speeds?

    If it's 2133/2400 ram with a stock 1700 you'd be better off with an oced 1200x

    The stock 1700/2700 are the worst gaming chips in the ryzen lineup
  2. Supahos said:
    Ram speed (speed it's running at, not rated)

    Cpu at stock speeds?

    If it's 2133/2400 ram with a stock 1700 you'd be better off with an oced 1200x

    The stock 1700/2700 are the worst gaming chips in the ryzen lineup


    i have 3200 ram with the stock 1700, the g skill ripjaws V series
  3. Did you ever set them to run at 3200?
  4. Supahos said:
    Did you ever set them to run at 3200?


    no, i didn't build the computer or pick the specs but it wasn't prebuilt, i left everything as is
  5. mr.chick3nftw said:
    Supahos said:
    Ram speed (speed it's running at, not rated)

    Cpu at stock speeds?

    If it's 2133/2400 ram with a stock 1700 you'd be better off with an oced 1200x

    The stock 1700/2700 are the worst gaming chips in the ryzen lineup


    i have 3200 ram with the stock 1700, the g skill ripjaws V series



    Make sure that your memory is actually running at the advertised 3200MHZ. If the kit doesn't have a latency of 14 then it's not garunteed to run at 3200MHZ. Enable XMP on that . Also I'd overclock that 1700 to 4GHZ or 3.9GHZ with a voltage of 1.35V. Make sure you have a clean install of the nvidia drivers and no antivirus is hanging your system up.
  6. https://www.userbenchmark.com

    Run this and post the link to the results


    Additionally what cpu cooler are you using
  7. mmm, my memory is running at 2133, so its probably set like that? but either way, when i got the pc in the beginning, it could run 4k games at 100+fps so is there anything else that could be going wrong.
  8. Have HwMonitor open to monitor temperatures and make sure nothing is overheating. I would still set an XMP 3200MHZ on the Ram. If you updated the BIOS then the settings most likely got reset. After this I would apply an overclock. Any you downloaded lately?
  9. SubaruWRX244 said:
    Have HwMonitor open to monitor temperatures and make sure nothing is overheating. I would still set an XMP 3200MHZ on the Ram. If you updated the BIOS then the settings most likely got reset. After this I would apply an overclock. Any you downloaded lately?


    im not very experienced with computers, just a avid gamer. ill just test my temperatures while running high end games. should i do this xmp on my memory before so? i also did wipe out my harddrive as a attempt to see if any viruses were slowing down my computer.
  10. After wiping the hard drive did you reinstall the Nvidia drivers? I know windows 10 automatically installs some generic drivers, but I would install them manually. If this doesnt work then use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall them. Then install a clean copy
  11. SubaruWRX244 said:
    After wiping the hard drive did you reinstall the Nvidia drivers? I know windows 10 automatically installs some generic drivers, but I would install them manually. If this doesnt work then use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall them. Then install a clean copy

    i wiped out the hard drive, but it wasn't a full cleanout. however just 2 hours ago i did use ddu to reinstall manually the 1080 ti, but i saw no difference in performance. should i just dothe xmp and overclock the cpu?
  12. Well you can overclock but I find that you got more FPS before a bit odd. Monitor your temperatures before you overclock. I'd recommend watching GPU usage.
  13. SubaruWRX244 said:
    Well you can overclock but I find that you got more FPS before a bit odd. Monitor your temperatures before you overclock. I'd recommend watching GPU usage.

    i know, thats also my issue. at some point it started to underperform like this, but i dont necessarily know when, because i usually play games on resolutions that are lower instead of 4k for extra fps boost, but when going back i noticed that it was barely playable. ill just monitor temperatures and then overclock, but i might have more problems
    Update: after testing it, i have three things. my temperature for the gpu is around 59 degrees, my cpu is running at 3.2 ghz instead of 3.7, and my memory speed is 3200 in bios and xmp activated ALREADY, however when i check memory speed in command prompt, it is 2133.
  14. Update: after testing it, i have three things. my temperature for the gpu is around 59 degrees, my cpu is running at 3.2 ghz instead of 3.7, and my memory speed is 3200 in bios and xmp activated ALREADY, however when i check memory speed in command prompt, it is 2133.
  15. CPU should be clocking higher. What are your CPU temps? Also go into Task Manager and check your ram speed on the Memory Tab.
  16. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-7-2700-2700x-review,5606.html

    3.2 is the speed of the 1700 beyond a couple of cores
  17. SubaruWRX244 said:
    CPU should be clocking higher. What are your CPU temps? Also go into Task Manager and check your ram speed on the Memory Tab.


    my ram speed is 2133 in the task manager as well, so whats keeping the bios setup saying its 3200 with the xmp on from actually being 3200? also the cpu temperature is approximately 38 C while running fortnite. Also, why is it that its at 3.2 but its supposed to be at 3.7?
  18. mr.chick3nftw said:
    SubaruWRX244 said:
    CPU should be clocking higher. What are your CPU temps? Also go into Task Manager and check your ram speed on the Memory Tab.


    my ram speed is 2133 in the task manager as well, so whats keeping the bios setup saying its 3200 with the xmp on from actually being 3200? also the cpu temperature is approximately 38 C while running fortnite. Also, why is it that its at 3.2 but its supposed to be at 3.7?


    The 3.2GHZ is the base clock. It should be boosting higher. Reset your BIOS back to factory defaults. Make sure you enable the XMP and save with exiting.
  19. It only boosts to 3.7 with 1-2 threads active.

    Did you actually enable xmp/docp at 3200 or just see that it's there?
  20. Supahos said:
    It only boosts to 3.7 with 1-2 threads active.

    Did you actually enable xmp/docp at 3200 or just see that it's there?


    i have an msi motherboard, so when i went into bios, it says that xmp is on already when i initially went into it. when i went to overclock settings, it also said that memory was already running and 3200 speed. im really confused?
  21. mr.chick3nftw said:
    Supahos said:
    It only boosts to 3.7 with 1-2 threads active.

    Did you actually enable xmp/docp at 3200 or just see that it's there?


    i have an msi motherboard, so when i went into bios, it says that xmp is on already when i initially went into it. when i went to overclock settings, it also said that memory was already running and 3200 speed. im really confused?



    The BIOS may say that there is an option for 3200MHZ. Try selecting that profile and applying it with a Save/Reboot.
  22. I guess go in manually set both the speed and timings and see if that work (for ram)
  23. I think 30-40 FPS Fortnite at 4k and maximum settings is totally reasonable even with your PC.
  24. Best answer
    nikoskostantopoulow said:
    I think 30-40 FPS Fortnite at 4k and maximum settings is totally reasonable even with your PC.


    I agree. You can achieve more with an overclock and higher ram tho.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games