[SOLVED] i7 8700 (non k) is not running at turbo?

Solution
There is a reason why Intel claims that turbo boost frequency is "up to" xx GHz. It can only achieve this speed if everything is favourable: good CPU cooler and good motherboard VRMs.

There is an article about this very same CPU on this topic which might clear up things a it:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700-cpu-review,5638-2.html

In short, if you are using stock cooler, don't expect much. Same if you don't have a good quality motherboard.
Hi Dark :)

With Turbo technology, A single active Core can obtain 3.6-3.8GHz however the more active Cores in use at a given time will decrease the frequency.
MAX turbo Boost for i7-8700 is 4.6GHz.

Turbo Boost makes use of headroom available however headroom available decreases as the number of active cores increase. When the number of active cores is increased, the maximum turbo boost frequency will drop. When all cores are active, the maximum turbo boost frequency for your processor is 3.8GHz.

To Overclock beyond is dependent on Manual Overclocking and higher frequencies will vary depending on your Cooling system and the sample quality of your CPU (Silicon Lottery)

dark051128

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018

That doesn't answer my question. According to specs, it should be running at 4.3ghz at 6 cores with turbo on, but I am capped at 4ghz and I don't know why.

There is a reason why Intel claims that turbo boost frequency is "up to" xx GHz. It can only achieve this speed if everything is favourable: good CPU cooler and good motherboard VRMs.

There is an article about this very same CPU on this topic which might clear up things a it:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700-cpu-review,5638-2.html

In short, if you are using stock cooler, don't expect much. Same if you don't have a good quality motherboard.

Solution

dark051128

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018

I have a noctua nh-u14s so cooling shouldn't be an issue. My board is ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z390-P (LGA1151).