[SOLVED] Sent my rx 480 for RMA, they sent the same card back(according to serial #). Now pc reads the gpu as rx 580..

OmaerNyc

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
I did use ddu to uninstall drivers and reinstall drivers from amd which didn't change anytthing. I also installed fresh image which didnt change anything either. Device manager and Radeon software shows rx 580, why would that happen? To clarify, before rma it was showing as rx 480.

Solution
If you are absolutely sure it is the same card then AMD likely flashed a RX 580 BIOS onto it, In terms of hardware the 480 and 580 are the same so this is possible. It's a good thing, with a 580 BIOS the card should now be running higher base clock and memory speeds and might perform a bit better.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If you are absolutely sure it is the same card then AMD likely flashed a RX 580 BIOS onto it, In terms of hardware the 480 and 580 are the same so this is possible. It's a good thing, with a 580 BIOS the card should now be running higher base clock and memory speeds and might perform a bit better.

Solution

OmaerNyc

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
The paper they sent with the gpu shows the card they received ans the card they sent, both has the same serial number. I also confirmed with the sticker on the gpu itself, shows rx480 with the same serial.
I also googled the bios version i saw on the gpu z, it showed rx480 as a result. But pc reads it as rx580. And seems like im getting better performance in bf5(which is what i play)
As you said it seems like a good thing, im just curious about it

OmaerNyc

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

It was end of December when i sent the card, so i added a bag of goodies with the gpu for the holiday season. Seems like it paid off