-£3000 Build - CyberPower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawbone

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi guys I'm new to the forum but I've been frequenting the site for a while gathering information and trying to increase my understanding of the hardware I need.

I'm a Noob when it comes to PC hardware so i've had a friend assisting me with the build I'm looking at purchasing from Cyberpower but i'm still saving money for the build and hoping the price may come down.

So far we're looking at -

CASE: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case High Performance Cooling with Integrated Fan Controller (White Color

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Cooling Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 412S CPU Fan with 4 x Direct Contact heat-pipes, Extreme performance and Ultra quie

MOTHERBOARD: (4-Way SLI Support) Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ ROG Connect, ROG UEFI Bios, BT GO, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 5 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X1

MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 1536MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 1536MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

Dedicated PhysX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

Power Supply Upgrade: 1000 Watts Power Supplies (Corsair 1050 Watts HX1050W Modular Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive: 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)

Data Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) (Single Hard Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK COLOR)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saving/show.aspx?id=385128

The Ram has been left blank at present because we're confused on why the Quad Channel ram is so insanly expensive and I was under the impression that Exceeding 16GB for a gaming rig would be a Waste.

Also wondering if the dedicated PhysX card is really worth while or if the money could be better spent elsewhere

I'm open to any and all suggestions like i said above i confess that i'm a rookie with regards to this kind of thing at present but i'm more than happy to put in the time and do the research :D.

Main purpose of the Rig is to Max out Graphics for as many years as possible so overall its Longevity and performance I'm looking for :D

Thanks you for your Time.

PS I have £3000 Pounds to spend but anything around the £2500 Is welcome :D I'm not devoted 2 stabbing my wallet to death.

Talandra

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I'm the friend thats been helping so far, and I'm as perplexed about Cyberpower's lack in appropriate Quad Channel Ram as Straw is.

The RAM we were going to get as a replacement of the 4 gig in that build (its only temporary since you have to pick SOME kind of ram in their config) would be this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-064-GS

I'd figured that 16 GB will be enough for most things, especially since Straw's been thinking of recording video footage from games once Guild Wars 2 comes out and stuff.

Any advice is welcome :)!

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, I was going to say you can save money, but if you are going for max graphics for as many years as possible, then I guess its not bad and should last you for 7+ years easily. My old dual-core computer played every game at max (except Crysis) for nearly 4 years before I bought a new GPU for her. Now she maxes every game out there just fine. :)

So, I would expect your computer to last for 7+ years.

As for the RAM, 16 GB will last you a long time. 4 GB is enough for most people, 6 is recommended, 8 GB is more than you'll need at the moment, so 16 GB is pretty future proof.

A dedicated physx card, IMO, is a waste of money that can be spent better elsewhere. A cheap $60 GPU can work very well as a physx card if you wanted to go that route.

I'll leave others to comment on any improvements/options.

Talandra

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply :).

About the RAM: When going for Quad Channel RAM the only options I could find were 8, 16 or 32 GB and seeing as 32 is FAR more than necessary, and 8 GB won't last long enough, I figured 16 GB would be the best alternative as its a bit middle of the road. Not overkill and not too little either.

As for the PhysX card, what does it do exactly? I know that PhysX is something unique to Nvidia and that having a dedicated card helps when playing games, but what does it mean exactly? I figured having it would be better than not but I still don't really know what it actually does.

Thanks for the feeback :)!

waxy_27

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
No PC will run everything on max for 7+ years. It just won't happen.

Good build, but leave out the dedicated physics card since you won't need it when you have 2 580's and get 16 gig of ram.

If you're still saving and it might take a while, depending on when you buy it check if there is any info on the new nvidia's. The 600 / 700 series will come out sometime this year so it might be worth waiting

Talandra

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
@waxy_27
Yes, I don't think it'll last 7 years, but the goal I set out when putting the build together was to be able to run most games on ultra/high for the next 3-4 years before needing upgrades/replacements. The 600/700 are scheduled for sometime in march/april (last I heard anyways). Although by then the new Ivy Bridge tech from Intel is supposed to be out at the same time, even though we don't know the full specs of them yet. So I guess its up to Straw in the end.

@BLACKSCI
Can't buy from Newegg as he lives in the UK, so thats why I had a link to the page for the overclockers.co.uk site. And 16 GB should be enough, any more would simply be wasted since the only other option is to go all the way up to 32 GB when its Quad Channel.

Again, thanks for the input :).

Strawbone

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Input thus far is much appreciated think I'll drop the PhysX Card from the spec and possibly stick the money somewhere else.
RAM At the moment is my biggest concern.

Apologies BTW I probably should have mentioned that I'm in the UK :D

Honestly I'm not in any massive rush to buy right away, I'm waiting for GW2 As Talandra said and given that there is no release date I'll probably be looking to purchase when Open beta is announced.

Glad to see that the Spec is what we had in mind :D

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, Ivy will be out on April 9ish, but those will be 4 cores max. Any 6-core Ivy processors won't be out until late this year (or more likely, early next year).

A 6-core processor should easily last 7 years before needing a new one, but then again that depends on perspective. My dual-core is just about 4 years old, and I still game on max settings with a newer GPU. Everything else runs snappy and all encoding tasks finish fast enough to make me happy. But if you are someone who wants the best, or wants to see higher FPS or lower encoding times, then the 6-core will easily become outdated as newer tech comes out. It doesn't sound like this is the case though.

Otherwise, you can save even more money and just snap up a 4-core Ivy when released. If my dual-core will last me well into year 5, then I think a Ivy quad can do 5 to 7 easily. IMO.

@ Waxy_27 - I don't know... game developers aren't exactly pushing the envelope anymore. Crysis and Metro 2033 are how old? Yet they are still the most graphically demanding (and with Crysis, beautiful) games around. Only reason I upgraded my 8800 GT is because I wanted Ultra on everything with a 1920 x 1200 resolution. Otherwise, the 8800 GT played all but one game (crysis) that I have on high with no problem.

Edit: As for RAM, don't sweat it. Grab 16 GB now, and upgrade to 32 GB if/when the time comes that you'll need that much RAM. By then, the price will (hopefully) drop significantly as 8 GB Dimms drop in price as production increased to meet demand.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
As far as how long a gaming build will be able to be used gaming, expect within 3 years you will see your cards becoming recommended config. Ive been building for 10 years and this is the same cycle i see repeated over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.