Sign in with
Your question

£1600 or less Eyefinty PC (prebuilt but customizable from website)

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2011 2:10:26 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week
Budget Range: less than £1600
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Eyefinity gaming at home only
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: just looking to buy from aria, dinopc or chillblast
Country of Origin: UK
Parts Preferences: by brand or type:none
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Yes(distant future)
Monitor Resolution: 5760x1080
Additional Comments: Gaming with headphones and ventrillo always, would be a benifit if i couldnt hear my PC over these things.

Starting my own tradition of buying a brand new PC every 3 years and hoping with the oppinions that i can get from tech savy people that it will last me until the next one I get built. the one PC I did build before it must have taken me an hour to work up the courage to put the thermal paste on for fear of ruining it at my own expense, the only upgrade i feel comfortable
doing and plan to do is adding a second GPU, i'll be ordering from http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems because they seem to allow
you to phone them and ask for anything available on their website and sub out the cost so i started with http://preview.tinyurl.com/4lxpuvt and changed it to:

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower Case
1000W Corsair HX Series Modular ATX2.2 PSU
Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i5-2500K Processor (they OC this to 4.5ghz for nothing)
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 6990
MSI P67A-GD55 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155
1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II
*my other Samsung 1TB HD*
4GB Mushkin Blackline (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
Sony DVD/RW 24x

£1261 + some delivery by my calculations

And then three cheap 1080p monitors BenQ G2220HD LCD display TFT 21.5" £99.13 x3 = £297.39

Case doesnt have to look good it isnt leaving the house, willing to spend £20-30 on a better case if it would help cooling
issues alot, only going to use for this PC will be eyefinity gaming, i don't do any graphical editing or designing thats why i stuck with 4gb of ram.

Questions:

1: Will a single 6990 be cool enough in that case, they dont seem to offer water cooling and I sure couldnt fit it myself
2: Can i pysically fit a second 6990 in that case later? I never plan to have more than 2 HDD's and one DVD drive if that is a factor
3: If i buy the second 6990 6months - 1year later with third party designs will it be cool enough with the same case cooling
(granted no one is psycic)
4: anyone know of cheap 1080p monitors with thin bezels, bezel size is seemingly almost never mentioned in reveiws
5: Overall is this PC a good idea?

Edit: after some reading i think i might be better with a single 6970 and then in the future adding another 6970, thoughts on this?
April 3, 2011 4:27:28 PM

Wow, quite a rig. Google to find out if that case is big enough or go to the CM site, they state the maximum card length, anyway you'll have to remove the HDD cage.

You should get a mobo with 2 PCIe slots running at x16x16 for crossfire.
m
l
!