1680×1050 Resolution: larger text on 22" or 20" ?

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I'm trying to find out which monitor size - 20 or 22 inch - provide larger text and easier reading on their native resolution of 1680×1050.

I googled for this but it seems opinions vary. Can some expert kindly clarify and confirm which size actually has better viewing: 20 o 22 inch.

Thank you!

Timop

Distinguished
Obviously the 22 inch, your putting the same amount f pixels on a bigger surface, thus blowing up everything proportionally, given the same DPI.

Though the 20 inch would give a sharper image, as your viewing the same sized images on a smaller surface. For larger text, you can always adjust the DPI making it take up more pixels.

I'm an expert with this.

Buy a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080.

Now, increase the DPI settings (near Resolution). aka "make text larger or smaller". Having more pixels means sharper text but using the default resolution mean the text is smaller at a DPI of 100%.

Some points:
1) Always use your native (highest) resolution such as 1920x1080 for Windows
2) Use DPI (experiment between 120 and 144%)
3) going above 144% can make cursors disappear in some games (Starcraft 2, Mass Effect)
4) Some programs (certain games, CDisplay) have scaling issues when DPI is enabled. Simply find the main EXE file (you can find the path from a shortcut), right-click and then choose the "..disable DPI..." option

Another tip:
Use CTRL-Mouse Scroll to increase or decrease a web page size. Most browsers now remember your choice for each page. This is a VERY useful tip.