- Articles & News
- For IT Pros
- Your Opinion
1. Eligibility : US residents 18 years or older as of the entry dates stated below. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not increase your odds of winning
2. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The contest is subject to federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
3. General Conditions : In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsors may, in their sole discretion, either (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules or (b) award the prizes according to the Judging Criteria from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual or team they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person or team to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such person or team to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by the Sponsors to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
4. The contest is jointly sponsored by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD), One AMD Place, P.O. Box 3453, Sunnyvale, CA, 94088-3453 and Bestofmedia LLC, USA (“Bestofmedia”), 10559 Jefferson Blvd., Suite A, Culver City, CA 90232, USA
5. There will be two contests, one in February 2009 and one in March-April 2009. The February 2009 contest will run from February 17, 2009 (12:01 am PST, GMT -8) through March 3, 2009 (11:59 pm PST, GMT -8). The March-April 2009 contest will run from March 23, 2009 (12:01 am PDT, GMT -7) through April 6, 2009 (11:59 am PDT, GMT -7).
6. Contestants must register for each of the two contests separately.
7. For the February contest, contestants must use the AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 processor.
8. For the March-April contest, contestants must use the AMD Phenom™ X3 720 processor.
9. Contestants must use their own hardware for each contest.
10. There will be one grand prize winner for each contest. In the following listing, approximate value in USD is given in parentheses. The grand prize for the February contest and the grand prize for the March-April the contest will be : An all expense paid round trip to Los Angeles on or about May 2, 2009 ($700), an AMD Phenom™ II 940 processor ($230), a motherboard compatible with the processor ($300), RAM memory compatible with the processor ($300), an ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 2GB graphics card ($450). The approximate retail value of each of the two grand prizes is $1,980 USD. The total approximate value of the two sets of prizes listed in this section is $3,960 USD.
11. The grand prize winners will be those with the highest overclocking scores, as determined by Bestofmedia.
12. For the February contest, the grand prize winner will be chosen on or about March 13, 2009 (11:59 pm PDT, GMT -7). The grand prize winner for the March-April contest will be chosen on or about April 13, 2009 (11:59 pm PDT, GMT -7).
13. Other prizes will be awarded during each contest by means of random drawings from among all eligible contest entries received during the February and March-April contest respectively. Drawings will be held on the following dates and at the following times : February 25, 2009, March 4, 2009 (10 am PST, GMT -8) and March 30, 2009, April 8, 2009 (10 am PDT, GMT -7) One set of prizes will be awarded for each of the four drawings. In the following listing, approximate value in USD is given in parentheses. Prizes for the random drawings will include AMD processors ($230) or ATI graphics cards ($230), along with Tom’s Hardware, Tom’s Guide and Tom’s Games logoed promotional products : hammers ($5), yoyos ($5), hand exercise balls ($5), flashlights ($5). The total approximate value of each set of prizes is $250 USD. The total approximate retail value of all four sets of prizes listed in this section is $1,000.
14. Contest judges will include Bestofmedia and AMD staff, and independent overclocking experts chosen by Sponsors in their sole & absolute discretion.
15. Contestants may use any cooling method they wish. Contestants will be recognized in each category of cooling. Contest judges will help verify all results submitted.
16. Contestants may use any commercially available motherboard or memory they wish.
17. Any hardware and software modifications are permitted.
18.Three benchmarks (see section 21) are to be used at the following settings :
a. SuperPI 1.5 1M
b. SuperPI 1.5 32M
c. PiFast 4.1
d. wPrime 1.55 32M
e. wPrime 1.55 1024M
19. For each benchmark/setting, a screen capture must be submitted showing the following :
a. CPUz results
b. The Benchmark
c. An open instance of notepad with the following text : “AMD Virtual CPU Overclocking Contest – [Date]” where [Date] is the current date.
20. No window in each screen capture may be obscured by any other window.
21. Participants may download a Zip file with the benchmarks at http://commercial.bestofmedia.com/PresUS/AMDOVerclockingContest.zip. Also included in the Zip file are :
b.AMD OverDrive™ Utility1 - Performance Tuning Utility For more information, see http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_overdrive.aspx ?p=1. For videos on this utility see : http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_overdrive.aspx ?p=2
c. AMD Fusion For Gaming Utility2 For setup information see : http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx ?p=2&s=1. For an overview and a video on this utility see : http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx ?p=1.
22. All five screen captures for each setting must be submitted in a standard Zip file attached to an email addressed to AMDOverclocking@bestofmedia.com. Submissions should include the contestant’s full name and email address.
23. Please send any questions to the same email address.
24. Contestants may send only their best and final results for the February contest and their best and final results for the March contest. Updated results are not permitted for either contest.
25. The winning contestant for each contest will be flown or otherwise transported to Los Angeles at the expense of Bestofmedia, where they will recreate their overclocking results, using their own hardware.
26. Bestofmedia will make all reservations for air flights and hotels, and pay for all meals. Bestofmedia will also pay for transportation to and from the two grand prize winner’s home airports and to and from the Los Angeles area airport into which contest grand prize winners fly.
27. Other prizes will be sent to winners at Bestofmedia’s expense.
28. Overclocking teams may enter the contest, but only one member of the team will be designated the official winner of all prizes.
29. All prize winners are responsible for taxes and other surcharges on the prizes they win.
30. Requirements of a Potential Winner : Except where prohibited, a potential Winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit (or declaration) of eligibility and a liability/publicity release. In addition, a potential Winner may be required to sign a release in which he/she irrevocably assigns and transfers to the Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in Entry, including, without limitation, all copyrights and trademark rights, and waives all moral rights in the Entry. Documents must be signed and returned to the Sponsor within seven (7) days of being notified. If a potential Winner fails to sign and return the required documents within the required time period or is otherwise ineligible to receive the prize, an alternate entrant may be selected in his/her place according to the selection procedures set forth above.
31. Release and Limitations of Liability : By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Bestofmedia LLC, other companies associated with promotion of the contest, and each of their subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to : (a) any technical errors that may prevent an entrant from submitting an entry ; (b) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest ; (c) printing errors ; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail ; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries ; or (f) injury, death, or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Participants acknowledge that they are responsible for the consequences of any and all overclocking activities they or any other persons engage in, in relation to these two contests. This includes, but is not limited to any injury or other damages suffered by participants or other persons during any overclocking activities related to the contests. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
1 AMD’S PRODUCT WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DAMAGES CAUSED BY OVERCLOCKING, EVEN WHEN ENABLED VIA AMD SOFTWARE.
2 THIS UTILITY MAY DISABLE SECURITY / ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE, OR ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR SYSTEM. REVIEW ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING.
© 2009 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, ATI, the ATI logo, AMD OverDrive, AMD Phenom, Radeon, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.