While using Windows 8, if users need a printer, it is important that they must ensure that the printer that they are about to connect to the computer is compatible with the installed operating system. The compatibility of the printer with Windows 8 can be confirmed only by the availability of the driver of that printer.
In order to verify the compatibility of the printer, users/administrators must go to the vendor’s website, printer manual, and/or list of operating systems for which the driver of the printer is available. In order to search for appropriate driver of a printer to install on Windows 8, administrators can go to the driver download page of the vendor’s website and can search for the driver for the connected printer, that is specifically developed for Windows 8 86/64-bit versions.
In case the appropriate printer driver for Windows 8 is not available, it is strongly recommended that administrators/users should not download and/or install the drivers for Windows 7 on Windows 8. The reason behind this is that installing incorrect driver on a wrong operating system may harm the OS, which may further make Windows 8 perform obnoxiously.
How to Search for Appropriate Printer Driver for Windows 8?
As discussed above, if driver for the connected printer for Windows 8 is not available in the installation disk that was shipped along with the device, administrators/users can follow the steps given below to locate the device driver on the vendor’s website:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the standard/administrator user account.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop window.
- On the desktop screen, click Internet Explorer icon from the taskbar.
- On the opened Internet Explorer window, type the URL of the vendor’s website in the address bar. (For example www.HP.com)
- On the opened website, click Support & Drivers.
- On the next page, make sure that Drivers & Software tab is selected under Support & Drivers section.
- On the selected tab, type the name or model number of the printer in Enter a product name/number field whose printing driver is to be downloaded. (For example LaserJet 1300)
- Once specified, click SEARCH.
- From displayed results on the bottom of the same page, click HP LaserJet 1300 Printer.
- On the next page, click to select the appropriate language as per the location to which the user belongs from Choose your software/driver language drop-down list.
- From the Select operating system list, click Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit). Alternatively Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit) can also be clicked if the edition of installed Windows 8 is 32-bit or x86.
- On the next page, scroll down the webpage, and under Driver – USB category, click Download. Alternatively Download button under Software – Universal Print Driver category can also be clicked to download the complete resource kit of the printer.
- From the displayed dialog bar at the bottom of the Internet Explorer window, click Save.
- Once downloaded, on the same bar, click Open folder to open the destination location of the downloaded printer driver.
- On the displayed window, press and hold the Shift key, and right-click the downloaded printer driver.
- From the displayed context menu, click Run as different user.
- In Windows Security box, provide administrative credentials in the available fields to initiate the installation process.
- Click OK to initiate the printer installation process.