After downloading or buying a copy of Windows 8 operating system, it is installed on a computer or laptop. During the installation, the process prompts users to provide the 25 character product key that is unique, and registers the operating system with Microsoft’s database. This process is activation of Windows 8.
Microsoft is lenient with the end users and it allows them to install and use Windows 8 for 30 days without activating. This duration of 30 days is an evaluation period, and once this duration is over, Windows 8 keeps prompting the users to activate the Windows in order to experience flawless (riiiight) functioning of the OS.
Windows 8 can be activated either via phone call, or administrators can also activate the operating system online, provided the computer has an active Internet connection. Once Windows 8 is successfully activated, it becomes eligible to receive all the available updates, patches, hot fixes, etc. directly from Microsoft’s update server. This ensures that the computer remains secured and updated with all the security measures in order to protect the information contained in it from unauthorized access. Many other added advantages can also be availed after the successful activation of Windows 8 operating system.
How to Activate Windows 8?
One of the easiest ways of activating Windows 8 is via active Internet connection. In order to complete the process, administrators must follow the instructions provided as below:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator account.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop window.
- Once on the desktop screen, click File Explorer icon from the taskbar.
- On the opened Libraries window, right-click Computer from the left pane.
- From the displayed context menu, click Properties.
- On the opened System window, click View details in Windows Activation under Windows activation section in the right pane.
- On Windows Activation window, click Buy a new key under Windows isn’t activated section to activated Windows 8 via Internet. Alternatively Activate with a new key button can also be clicked in order to activate Windows 8 using the product key provided with the Windows 8 installation DVD.
- Make sure that the Internet connection has an active Internet connection.
- On Buy a product key online screen, wait till the list available Windows 8 products are displayed.
- Follow on-screen instructions thereafter to continue the Windows 8 activation process.