Many laptop computers nowadays have integrated wireless network adapters, and the chances are that they might have Qualcomm Atheros. Under normal conditions, these network adapters work completely fine. However when Windows 8 is installed on a computer, and the latest drivers, including the driver for Qualcomm Atheros are installed, many times the adapter fails to connect to the wireless network. Even if the adapter is able to connect to the Wi-Fi network, the connection breaks quite randomly.
The same issue with Qualcomm Atheros adapters can be seen if the Wi-Fi network has a Netgear wireless router.
In order to rectify the issue, the obsolete or old driver of the network adapter must be uninstalled, and the new driver from the vendor’s site must be downloaded and installed to fix the functioning of the Qualcomm Atheros network adapter.
Note: While downloading latest driver for the Qualcomm Atheros network adapter, users must never rely on any third-party sources for downloading. It is strongly recommended that the driver must be downloaded either from the vendor’s site of the computer, or from the official website of the network adapter manufacturer, which in this case is Qualcomm Atheros.
How to Uninstall Old Driver and Install the Downloaded Driver?
In order to uninstall the old Qualcomm Atheros driver and install the download driver to resolve the issue, instructions given below must be followed:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the account that has the elevated privileges.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop screen.
- Once on the desktop screen, hover mouse to the bottom right corner of the window.
- Make sure that the new Qualcomm Atheros adapter driver is downloaded from the Internet.
- From the displayed options, click Settings.
- On the Settings pane, click Control Panel.
- On the opened Control Panel window, click Hardware and Sound category.
- On Hardware and Sound window, click Device Manager under Devices and Printers category from the right pane.
- On Device Manager window, expand the Network adapters device category.
- Once expanded, right-click the old Qualcomm Atheros adapter driver that is to be uninstalled.
- From the context menu that appears, click Uninstall to remove the selected network adapter driver.
- On Confirm Device Uninstall box, click OK to confirm the device driver uninstallation.
- Close all the opened windows when done.
- Click the File Explorer icon from the taskbar.
- On the Libraries window, navigate and locate the destination location where the newly downloaded Qualcomm Atheros adapter installation files are stored.
- Once located, double-click the installation file to install the new Qualcomm Atheros adapter.