After purchasing a brand new computer that has Windows 8 pre-installed on it, many users might want to downgrade the new operating system back to Windows 7. There might be various reasons for this, and the most common one is the new interface of Windows 8 which is not as user-friendly as it is of Windows 7.
In order to downgrade a Windows 8 computer back to Windows 7, a few prerequisites is must be met. The following are the considerations that must be kept in mind before downgrading a Windows 8 computer to Windows 7:
- Only Windows 8 Pro that is pre-installed on a computer while purchasing has downgrading rights.
- Windows 8 Pro can be downgraded to a pre-purchased non-activated Windows 7 operating system.
- If Windows 8 is downgraded to Windows 7 that was already activated on any other machine, administrators are required manually call Microsoft customer support to re-activate the copy of Windows 7 while downgrading.
Note: If any version of Windows 8 other than Windows 8 Pro is to be downgraded to Windows 7, full OEM or retail licensed copy of Windows 7 must be purchased.
Downgrading Windows 8 to Windows 7 does not require any uninstallation process. It is rather a fresh Windows 7 installation, but with already purchased product key that must be provided while activating Windows 7 during installation. This eliminates the requirement of purchasing another copy of Windows 7 while downgrading from Windows 8.
How to Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7?
As discussed above, the process of downgrading Windows 8 to Windows 7 requires fresh installation of Windows 7 and it is just the original product key that makes the difference, step-by-step instructions given below must be followed to get the task done:
- Start the Windows 8 computer that is to be downgraded to Windows 7.
- Enter into the BIOS setup and configure the system to boot from CD/DVD Drive.
- Save the modified settings in BIOS and reboot the computer.
- Insert Microsoft Windows 7 bootable installation DVD into the optical media drive (CD/DVD Drive).
- When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key to boot the computer from DVD support.
- On the Install Windows box, click Next.
- On the next box, click Install now.
- On the next screen, follow on-screen instructions thereafter to continue with the Windows 8 downgrading process.