When it comes to upgrading any 32-bit version of Windows to 64-bit, a straightforward answer is no. However there can be several workarounds to get the task done and that too quite legally.
In order to upgrade Windows 8 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit operating system on a computer, administrators must have access to any other computer that has either Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit installed on it. This computer would be used to download 64-bit Windows 8 ISO image from Microsoft’s official website.
If a new Windows 8 is purchased online using a computer that has Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 8 32-bit already installed, the download link that Microsoft provides after the successful purchase is of the ISO image of Windows 8 32-bit only. This again does not help administrators upgrade a 32-bit Windows 8 to 64-bit Windows 8. Therefore access to any 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 computer is required to make Microsoft assume that the current operating system is 64-bit. Therefore the download link that Microsoft will send in the email would be of the ISO image of 64-bit Windows 8 operating system.
Once the ISO image of Windows 8 64-bit operating system is downloaded, the image can then be burned on a blank DVD. After this, the DVD can be used to install a fresh copy of the Windows 8 64-bit on the computer that has Windows 8 32-bit.
How to Upgrade Windows 8 32-Bit to Windows 8 64-Bit
As discussed above, step-by-step instructions given below must be followed to upgrade Windows 8 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit following the workaround procedure given below:
- Log on to the computer with the administrator account on which 64-bit version of Windows 8 or any other 64-bit operating system such as Windows 7, Windows Vista is installed.
- Make sure that the computer is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop window.
- Once on the desktop screen, click Internet Explorer icon from the taskbar.
- On the Internet Explorer window, type the following link: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productI... in the address bar and press Enter.
- On the opened webpage of the website, click to select Download radio button under How do you want to receive Windows section.
- Once selected, click Add to cart.
- On the next webpage, click Continue checkout.
- On the next webpage, provide the Microsoft account ID and password in the available fields.
- Once provided, click Sign in to access the Windows live account. Optionally, Create your account can also be clicked at the bottom of the webpage to create a new Microsoft account.
- On the Billing address webpage, populate the fields with the correct information as required.
- Follow on-screen instructions thereafter to continue with the downloading process.
- Once downloaded, burn the Windows 8 ISO image to a blank DVD.
- Insert the newly created Windows 8 bootable installation DVD into the optical media drive of the target computer on which 32-bit version of the Windows 8 is to be replaced with 64-bit version of Windows 8.
- Start the fresh installation of 64-bit version of Windows 8 on the target computer.